New to Mandolins and proud new owner of an inexpensive epiphone.

1. Dr.Jeff
    Dr.Jeff
    Hi, I am just now picking up the mandolin. I have been a drummer and percussionist for about 40 years. I play kit, hand and world percussion; didgeridoo, etc, but have never played a stringed instrument. I have been wanting to for some time and since I am not getting any younger, thought that now was as good a time as any.

I did a fair amount of on-line research and went around town looking at instruments. The in-town selection was not much; and consisted entirely of low-end mandos. Armed with a slender budget of $500, I got an Epiphone MM-50e from Guitar Center when they had their 15% off day, so it was $425. I paid for a setup by the in-store luthier, and then got a strap and a gig bag.

I have been looking for a good instructor in my area (with slim results), and have been considering Mike Marshall's on-line lessons. Currently, I am doing the punt tactic of using YouTube for lessons.

I saw this group and not knowing what constituted a low-end mandolin, I took a leap and figured that my epiphone would qualify.

Regardless, Greetings! My name is Jeff and I live in Sarasota, FL. My occupation is currently a Program Director at a University in Forensic Science and my background is Biotechnology Research (with a few years as a Criminalist\agent).

So, hello, all! Cheers!! Jeff
  2. sean cannon
    sean cannon
    welcome and yes your epiphone does count ,