The Long Drop

1. Sore Ears
    Sore Ears

A nice tune, not sure of its origin. This is my Breedlove OO, it rings like a bell.
  2. hendrix2
    hendrix2
    Sounds great! Nice tune and very nice mandolin!
  3. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Sore Ears--Sweet! Thanks for joining us & submitting your video!
  4. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    I searched www.thesession.org and found this for The Long Drop. (when you get to the page that link takes you to, click the tab for 'sheet music' to see the notation) Does it seem to be close to what you are playing?

Here's the ABC

X: 1
    T: Long Drop, The
    M: 4/4
    L: 1/8
    R: reel
    K: Gmaj
    |:gedg edBA|GEEE EDB,D|GG G2 BABc|dBeB dGBd|
    gedg edBA|GEEE EDB,D|GGGA (3Bcd eg|dBAc BG (3Bcd:|
    |:gBBA BBgB|BggB aged|cBcd e~eef|gdbg edBd|
    gBBA BBgB|BggB aged|cBcd edge|dBAc BG[BG][dG]:|

And here is the discussion about the tune:

According to the liner notes on In Good Company, the Long Drop was composed by Richard Twomey, a fiddler from Seattle, WA. Credit where credit is due....

# Posted on November 21st 2002 by will harmon

I asked Kevin Crawford why he tinkered with Richard's setting of this tune, and he pointed a finger at Sean Smith, who was standing nearby. Sean looked back at us with suspicion, and wouldn't admit to anything, so who knows. But if you want what is probably a better idea of what Richard Twomey originally had in mind for this tune, listen to Richard's fellow North Westerners, Randal Bays and Joel Bernstein on "Pigtown Fling."

# Posted on March 20th 2004 by Phantom Button

On youtube - apparently by members of the German band Cara in an Ennis pub session. Nice tune.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5q2EUUwELv4
  5. Sore Ears
    Sore Ears
    Gee, I don't know. I'm terrible at reading tab and very slow with notation. That pub version seems spot on. Interesting that it isn't traditional. Give it another 100 years and who knows?