The therapeutic role of music

1. Pasha Alden
    Pasha Alden
    Hi all in this group

The thread I started in general mandolin discussions was actually meant to get people interested in this group. Instead, it illicited a huge discussion around whether music has a purpose or not. In my book the purpose may be conscious, or sub-conscious. This thread will look at the therapeutic role of music. In a previous thread on disability and other challenges faced, someone mentioned that they felt relaxed, or that music helped them with anxiety. I believe in that altogether. Two weeks ago we had band practice. Before I got to the band I was quite annoyed Somehow when I left, I fogot all about that annoyance. I think music is spiritually and physically an extremely therapeutic thing. As I said in another thread, perhaps it is the sharing and releasing of energy, or the secreation of endorphins? Well, whatever it is, let's hear of particularly positive experiences you had with music! Like the one of Kev, and I am sure there are others.
  2. dant
    dant
    It almost matters not what the deal is, picking up my Eastman md 615, and strum a few strings and it happens to work with the tunage on the stereo, then all is well and I'll be in a great place for a few minutes.
    And if I happen to have my wits about me and actually record the tune, then I get real excited cause I know I'll be able to go again as many times as I want to. And my wife will sometimes comment, how many times are you gonna listen to that tune. I normally respond as many times as it takes to get my head right.

Dan
  3. Pasha Alden
    Pasha Alden
    Well, thanks Dan - our thread getting underway. and their are certainly so many aspects around playing music. Recently when I played with a band of blind persons. We were all at least legally blind. The band consisted of soprano tenor and base marimbas, drums and yours truly on mandolin. The thrill of the lot of us being in control and playing different parts was so therapeutic, the act of playing, and us highlighting the musical ability of persons with disabilities. Our strategy coordinating wqho played what? Discussions beforehand, and the band leader hearing me or somebody do something he liked and asked us to continue. Sometimes during practice, calling out, "Pasha, keep playing, the others should be silent, only you and I playing". That just an example. All came together beautifully on the day! The feeling of accomplishing the job of playing at the Nelson Mandela Human Chain event was so powerful and for us therapeutic.
  4. Richard J
    Richard J
    Is music therapeutic for me? Yes it is. In October 2003, I had a traumatic brain injury after falling from a ladder; spent the first month in a medically induced coma; the second month in cognitive therapy (learning everything… how to eat, swallow, hear, talk, walk, use a toilet… everything); third month for speech, occupational and physical therapy. During the fourth month I was released from the hospital and sent back home. I then began 2 years of speech & occupational therapy as an out-patient in a local rehab center. During those two years, music was a big part of my therapy. I could sing the songs we were listening too. Sometimes I (and my therapist) would play with a ukulele. That was fun but not enough, I wanted to play a guitar but because of my hands I could not chord. When my therapy stopped (health insurance said “no more”) I stopped playing a uke. About 8 years ago, I was at a coffee shop watching a couple of people playing guitars jamming together. One guy put down his guitar, picked up a mandolin, they played 2 Beatles songs & a Van Morrison song and took a break. That really made me sad, not because they took a break, but because I can’t play a guitar could only sing the lyrics. They were at the table next to me so I asked the mandolin player if it was possible to play without using 4 fingers. He laughed and said “oh yeah, why”. I then explained my brain injury and physical problems with my hands. He reached into his bag and gave me a 2 finger chord chart and said “here you go, have fun”. That was what I needed. Started looking for mandolins, they were (& still are) way over my budget, but a local music store that sells “used” mandolins helped me find a beginners mandolin that I could afford. Signed up for classes at that store and the rest is history. One of the main side-effects of my injury is my short-term memory. To help keep my short-term memory skills at bay, I play at least 1 -2 hours a day, learning and remembering how to strum and pick really helps me a lot. I still take one class a month, jam with one person at work (a couple of times a month during our lunch breaks), and go to a jam session at that store when I can. I will never be a professional musician but playing only to amuse myself is perfect for me and playing with a co-worker is a lovely social event. Is my short-term memory better now than it was before I bought my mando, yes, yes & yes. The only problem with buying that mandolin is that MAS (Mandolin Acquisition Syndrome) is killing me. But again, is music therapeutic for me? Yes it is.
  5. Pasha Alden
    Pasha Alden
    Thank you Richard J for sharing! I was going to ask about your short term memory, but you anticipated my question and answered it. I find that sometimes the greatest adversity leads us to something else that is worthwhile. I as someone legally blind can say that life is not as easy as hopping into my Farai sports car, however, there are many sighted people who have a worse life than me and that is how I keep things in perspective. So I am pleased the mandolin has been so therapeutic for you! I have always been a huge harbourer of that suspicion that music and now mandolins are healing. I wonder if they collect all our anecdotal history and assemble it as a body of evidence what inferences scientists will make? Wonder if anyone has studied the value of music as therapeutic tool and what such hefty voluminous papers would say?
  6. dant
    dant
    Good on you Richard, I also have brain damage, although caused by a stroke, and have "learned" to play mandolin one handed. I am able to join the jams with friends I used to play with. The saddest thing is I was a very good musician for like 30 years and then boom, so it's been a hell of a ride. I will be getting some real puter help soon, and hopefully I'll be getting a few tracks for the group to listen to.

Dan
  7. dant
    dant
    Good on you Richard, I also have brain damage, although caused by a stroke, and have "learned" to play mandolin one handed. I am able to join the jams with friends I used to play with. The saddest thing is I was a very good musician for like 30 years and then boom, so it's been a hell of a ride. I will be getting some real puter help soon, and hopefully I'll be getting a few tracks for the group to listen to.

Dan
  8. Pasha Alden
    Pasha Alden
    Good on both of you Dan and Richard. I am having a hard time imagining playing mandolin with only one hand, but perhaps as was said somewhere playing open strings there is still joy to be found.
  9. dant
    dant
    Wow, found another cd with a couple tunages that I could make noise too. Been a good evening. Now waiting for oldest, his wife, and our first grandchild to arrive.

Dan
  10. dant
    dant
    Dang good jams Sat afternoon. good picker friends decided to cook a stew Sat. kinda last minute. So great stew around 1pm, cold beer, and jamming on the porch around 3pm. I love jamming outside, does anyone else think it just sounds better outside?

Dan
  11. Pasha Alden
    Pasha Alden
    It is wonderful to hear you enjoy the music Dan.

The thing about music is that I can feel tired, sad or annoyed. When I go play mandolin, or do my choir practice I forget all about that. Music is so wonderful. Have often wondered why the mood changes. I think it is due to self expression and then mind taken off that subject of annoyance or sorrow and then the energy required for playing/singing? I think it is shifting of focus and instead of crying, sighing griping, the positive action playing/singing is performed.
    It that why music is so healing?