Reels

1. James Rankine
    James Rankine
    I thought I would start a thread devoted to reels. What are you favourite reels? Post some videos of you playing, mandolin and related instruments.
    I like minor key reels because you can get away with playing them at a slightly slower pace than a regular session speed - always a good thing in my book!
    Here is a short run through of the musical priest with my friend Al on guitar.

2. CelticDude
    CelticDude
    Makes sense, after the jigs post. Reminds me that I really need to make and post some more videos. In the mean time, here's one from 2010. Enough mandolin to qualify, I think.

3. Eddie Sheehy
    For minor reels I like: The Glasgow, Cooley's, The Musical Priest. My favorite majors are: The Mason's Apron, Silver Spear, McArthur Road, Maid Behind The Bar, Music for a found Harmonium, Whiskey B4 Breakfast and St. Anne's..

Cooley's:

Simon's:

Whiskey/St. Annes:

4. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    I still like Toss the Feathers and Toss the Feathers

5. James Rankine
    James Rankine
    A great collection of reels here already. Here is another version of Cooley's

6. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Some very fine versions there from all, gents, and an interesting lot of instruments on show. The differences in tempo are interesting and some reels do seem to sound better when played that bit more slowly - not a criticism of the players, by the way!
  7. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    A Michael Coleman set which might belong here.

8. noah finn
    noah finn
    Over the Moor to Maggie
  9. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Bucks of Oranmore and 3 others.

10. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    Here's the Green Groves of Erin which is a minor reel and my favorite at the moment. Coming from the bluegrass tradition, I've noticed that the A part of many reels is pretty easy to play, it's those twisty and winding melodic lines on the B parts that seem to take up all my practice time...

11. Bob Michel
    Bob Michel
    Here are a couple of my favorites, "Tuttle's Reel" and "Sergeant Early's Dream." I learned the first from Bobby Casey's recording, the second (I think) from Kathleen Collins's first LP. But there have been a few decades of Folk Process since then, and I suspect that my versions may have wandered a bit from theirs.

Bob Michel
    Near Philly
  12. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Really lovely tone from your Gibson A there Bob - what year is it?
  13. Bob Michel
    Bob Michel
    Thanks, Jill. It's from 1912, I believe--quite early (the fingerboard extension hadn't yet been added to the A-4 model).

I'm extremely fond of this mandolin. When I bought it there were two pretty nice snakeheads on offer for the same price, but I picked this one on the basis of its sound, and have never regretted the decision.

Bob Michel
    Near Philly
  14. Matt
    Matt
    Michael, beautiful, I'm inspired to dive in and learn The Green Groves of Erin. The double stops are great.