Week #257 The Peeler's Jacket

1. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    Barbara asked if I'd go ahead and post this week's tune. By a pretty sizable lead, our winner turns out to be a reel called The Peeler's Jacket, also known as The Flannel Jacket, Gilbert Clancy's, and The Peller's Jacket.

Here's ABC Notation
    X: 1
    T: The Peeler's Jacket
    R: reel
    M: 4/4
    L: 1/8
    K: Gmaj
    G2BG DGBG|FGAB c2Bc|dggf d2eg|fdcA BGAF|
    G2BG DGBG|FGAB c2Bc|dggf d2eg|fdcA BG~G2:|
    |:gagf d2ef|gfga bgaf|gagf d2eg|fdcA BGBd|
    gagf d2ef|gfga bgaf|gbag fdeg|1 fdcA BG~G2:|2 fdcA BGAF||

or...
    X: 2
    T: The Peeler's Jacket
    R: reel
    M: 4/4
    L: 1/8
    K: Gmaj
    |G2 BG DGBG|FGAB (3ccc Bc|dggf d2eg|fdcA BGAF|
    |G2 BG DGBG|FGAB c2 Bc|dggf d2eg|1 fdcA BGGF:|2 fdcA BGBd||
    |:~g3 e d2 ef|(3ggg ga bgaf|gage d2 eg|fdcA BGBd|
    |~g3 e d2 ef|~g3 a bgaf|gbag fdeg|1 fdcA BGGe:|2 fdcA BGAF||

The ABC along with links to midi sound files, sheet music, and discussion can be found at...
    http://thesession.org/tunes/1343

Tab can be found here...
    http://www.mandolintab.net/tabs.php?...acket&id=01540
  2. GKWilson
    GKWilson

Here's a Nashville version.
  3. James Rankine
    James Rankine
    The "Nashville version" is of course from Dave Hum who sadly passed away in 2012. Dave was a fantastic musician from the UK who could play many different styles on the 5 string banjo, including celtic which is relatively rare on the 5 string. It's worth checking out his you tube channel and website which is maintained by his family in his memory. I've been a fan of his for a while - he will be sadly missed.

Here's my version

4. Hendrik Luurtsema
    Hendrik Luurtsema
    That was very nice James, you get a nice ringing sound from that Eastman. I'm glad that there's good mandolinexample on the internet now.
  5. Manfred Hacker
    Manfred Hacker
    That sounds really nice, James. And is different from the notation posted above, or am I mistaken?
    Is that an 804?
  6. James Rankine
    James Rankine
    Thanks folks for the kind words. I took slight liberties with the first version posted on the session by substituting one of the notes played on the A string with an open E just to get a bit more open ringing sound out of the oval hole. It's a 504. I'm a big Eastman fan, I also have an 815. I was very tempted by a 915 with a violin finish in the local music shop the other day. It looked fantastic and playing it alongside a used 815 they had which sounded very like mine, it was noticeably darker with a woodier tone. Mind you they had a great 515 every bit as good as my 815 and my 504 was every bit as good as the 804 they had in violin finish (heralded as the only one in the UK). I suppose everyone is different but the 915 did stand out, but was also £1000 more than I paid for my 815.
  7. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    Great sounding mandolin with a really solid performance. The oval hole mandolins tend to have that really sweet ringing tone which is perfect for tunes like this one... well done!
  8. Fishguy
    Fishguy
    I used a little band-in-the-box magic on this one, but here's my stab at it...
    ]
  9. maudlin mandolin
    maudlin mandolin
    Excellent- Band in a box really is magic if it produced the second mandolin part.
  10. Fishguy
    Fishguy
    Nope that part was me. But the background track was all hocus pocus
  11. dustyamps
    dustyamps
    The Peeler's Jacket from O'Neill's Dance Music of Ireland
  12. gortnamona
    gortnamona
    quick blast once through, of the top of my head i can't think of another tune were i play the high b on an up stroke

13. maudlin mandolin
    maudlin mandolin

Very good from Gortnamara and dustyamps. There is a high b played on both up and down strokes in Connaugtmans Ramble.
  14. James Rankine
    James Rankine
    Interesting observation Lawrence regarding the up stroke on the high B. A quick flick through "Mally's top 100 Irish session tune book" failed to find a reel with a single up on the B ( as opposed to an up down). Seems to be more common in jigs, as Maudlin noted, Connaught man's, and also the mug of brown ale. I've decided to use this as an excuse for why I found it so singularly difficult to do the walk down from the high B in this tune. Sounds like a good trivia question -name the reel with a single high B on the upstroke.
  15. gortnamona
    gortnamona
    i had problems with as well James, i only played the tune through once for good reason
  16. Obiwan
    Obiwan
    So I'm on vacation in Maine, it's not perfect but I still managed to get it done. The room has a nice fire place and you may be able to hear the waves from the ocean in the back ground. Great atmosphere to play mando, every one did a great job,
  17. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    The waves do come through really clearly and provide beautiful backing to your great picking. I won't pretend I'm not jealous--the ocean is my favorite place to be.
  18. Obiwan
    Obiwan
    Thanks marcelyn I love coming up here , I like this song, I was having trouble with controlling my pinky on this one. Had to adjust where I put my thumb on the neck.
  19. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    Just like everyone else I had some challenges playing this tune, so much so that it has taken me weeks to get a passable version. It was a lovely day today so I shot the video on my deck.

20. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    Very nice videos from everyone, and a good idea to start the tune with that triplet. I'm finding this hard too, but reels and I don't tend to get along generally, so that's not unexpected. I'll make a point of learning this and other nice reels to get over this specific difficulty.
  21. llamela
    llamela
    A must for any knee fetishist.
  22. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Hi everybody,
    I'm new in this group. Your contributions are so amazing it takes all my guts to follow you. After lurking around a whole year I take heart to post my very first video:

https://youtu.be/MbaMoXc-KwE
  23. Manfred Hacker
    Manfred Hacker
    That's a good first post, Frithjof. Clean and with good timing. Way to go.
  24. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    You picked a tough song to take on as your first post, Frithjof. It sure sounds great. Hope you post here often.
  25. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    Very nice playing, Frithjof. That mandolin has incredible sustain as well as a distinctive look. Is that a bear carved at the top of the neck? Please tell us something more about this mandolin! And welcome...
  26. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Thank you for the hearty welcome and nice comments.

I stumbled over this lovely mandolin in Markneukirchen, Vogtland aka Musikwinkel because the region is well-known for a long tradition of instrument making. Mention that Christian Frederick Martin, Sr. was born in Markneukirchen, Germany in 1786.
    Unfortunately there is no label insight the mandolin and I had had never contact to the former owner himself. It is certainly build in this area and a few decades old. The chimera on the head stands sentinel over good tone and sustain. Sometimes I hear a growl close to my left ear …
    You may see some images in the album on my profile.

Frithjof
  27. maudlin mandolin
    maudlin mandolin
    Well played Frithjof.
    My Herwiga bowlback was made in Markneukirchen. Have you visited the musical instrument museum there?
  28. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    The museum is still on my to-do list, maudlin.
    Unfortunately the museum just closed its doors as I arrived in the late afternoon five years ago. By that reason I ended up in the small music shop in the neighborhood where I found my mandolin – fortunately!
  29. dustyamps
    dustyamps
    Welcome Frithjof and thanks for joining in. Your mandolin has great tone.
  30. Simon DS
    Simon DS
  31. Christian DP
    Christian DP
    Real groovy, Simon!
  32. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    But not groovy enough to be liked on YouTube.
    -that was my sad face.

Oh my goodness, just read that this tune was Frithjof’s first posted vid!
    Happy birthday Frithjof!!
  33. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Thanks, Simon. This was indeed my admission card for the SAW group – and I’m still here.

You did a great job with your octave mandolin today. And I had a good time listening to all these fine recordings above.
  34. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Thanks Frithjof, so you’re one of the Oldtimers.
    Yes the octave’s ok now but I will have to get a nice mandolin sometime soon!
    I’ve been listening to the others too, really nice to hear all the SAWers and it’s a lovely tune, with that tricky bit in the B part.

(There was some sort of distortion on the recording, don’t know why, so I had to change the YouTube link. I may even modify it again)
  35. Aidan Crossey
    Aidan Crossey
    This tune is normally played as double reel (i.e. with both parts repeating) but lately I've been playing it as a single reel and I include a "single" version here as a comparison with the standard version.

There's a rule of thumb (which like all rules gets broken from time) which suggests that if measures 5 to 8 of both parts of a tune are essentially just repetitions of measures 1 to 4, then that tune should be played single. Whereas if measures 5 to 8 deviate from or develop measures 1 to 4, then the reel should be played double.

I had a discussion with a friend a while back when Ian Lynch of Lankum released a compilation CD, "Fire Draw Near", based on his excellent podcast series of the same name. I was blown away by Tommy Reck's version on that CD of "The Kilfrush" (aka "Kiss The Bride In Bed") and set out to learn a mandolin version. My friend said that he found the doubled version of the tune which Reck played was too repetitious (for the reasons outlined above) and in their local session, the players had taken to playing it single. I have to admit that, after playing the tune through some time afterwards, he had a valid argument. A player of Reck's calibre can create sufficient interest to carry The Kilfrush off as a double reel. But in the hands of most mere mortals it would likely work better if singled.

Anyway ... enough blather. Here's a singled version of The Peeler's Jacket for comparison with the standard double versions.

36. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Doubled or single, it is a fine tune, Aidan, and thanks for bringing it to the group.

One of our regular session attendees, a piper, when playing tunes we would class as songs is most likely to repeat the verse part and then do the same with the refrain, whereas the non-pipers tend to treat songs as verse/chorus alternately. Both seem to work as long as we are listening to whoever is leading the tune, but on a busy night there can be some fun when half the group is playing the verse twice while the other half has moved on to the chorus. The joys of playing together!
  37. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    One of my favs, thanks Aidan.
    I always thought of the repetitive nature of this tune as a reflection of police uniforms, and the mentality along with the plodding hobnail boots rhythm. Love it!
  38. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Not hearing plodding hobnail boots in Aidan's version, Simon. Much more a pair of light dancing shoes with a definite spring in the performer's step inspired by the musician's lift he gives the tune.
  39. Aidan Crossey
    Aidan Crossey
    And nothing plodding about Simon's own version, either...
  40. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Oh I mean the D DU DUDU DUDU of the melody with the first D that seems to alternate.
    It brings to mind Donegal fiddlers who use a bow stroke per note though now I'm wondering if the rhythm I have in mind comes from my interpretation of the title. :/
  41. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Thanks, Aidan, for your fine version. I feel a nice little swing in your playing.
    Didn’t play this tune for a long time, now. So, I should relearn it.
  42. Aidan Crossey
    Aidan Crossey
    Thanks, Frithjof...