Kilmartin Rise

1. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    In 1993 I went to Scotland to visit all the wonderful places my Scottish granny told me about when I was a wee lad. I wrote this tune inspired by the countryside around Kilmartin, Scotland.

2. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Whoa David, that unexpected harmonic turn in the B part blows my mind - hyper-Scottish. The rhythm seems to be a 2/4 march, but it is definitely an anchient ghost army moving, covered in moss and lichen, peacefully pensioned.
    Outstanding.

ABC?
  3. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    What a gorgeous, flowing melody. It does have a very nostalgic feel to it.
  4. woodenfingers
    woodenfingers
    Fantastic!! Haunting. Loved the pictures. Me Dad was born in Glasgow in 1907 and I suspect that I will never get to Scotland so it was wonderful to go on the tour with your video. I'd vote for the ABC as well if possible.
  5. James Rankine
    James Rankine
    Really great, the whole package. I'm feeling homesick now and I live a lot nearer Scotland than Bob does. Everyone should go at least once in their lives. We've just named our new Labrador puppy Islay so we have an excuse for visiting the island (and drinking the whisky, but I do that anyway!).
    Can I vote for the music as well so we can all butcher your beautiful melody
  6. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Great melody and a great choice of instruments there, David. Once again I feel so proud of my Scottish genes and even more that you have chosen a part of the world so close to my own home here in Argyll. Dunadd, the Iron Age hill fort near Kilmartin, is often called the seat of Scotland and was the stronghold of the ancient kingdom of Dalriada, from whence we believe came the Scots.

Thanks for a very moving experience.
  7. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    Thank you all for the very nice comments, I really do appreciate it. I have tried to get a basic sketch of the tune in abc format although I fear I am not very adept at notating dotted rhythms correctly. So if anyone cares to correct my errors please send me a corrected copy. Here's what I came up with:

X:1
    T: Kilmartin Rise
    C: David Hansen ©1993
    M: 4/4
    K: G
    L: 1/32
    A,4B,4||:G6F2E2D6 B,6A,2B,2D6|E6F2G4F4 E8 G4A4|B6c2B4A4 G6F2E2D6|E6F2G2A6 F8 E4F4|G6F2E2D6 B,6A,2B,2D6|E6F2G4A4 B8 e3fe2d2|B6A2G2F6 E6D2B,2A,6|B,2E6 F4 G2F2 E8:||G4A4||:B6e2e4f4 e6d2B2A6|B6e2e4f4 e8 e4f4|g6f2e2c6 B6A2F2D6|
    G,6A,2B,2G6 F8 E4F4|G6F2E2D6 B,6A,2B,2D6|B6A2G2A6 F8 e3fe2d2|B6A2G2F6 E6D2B,2A,6|B,2E6 F4 G2F2 E8:||
  8. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    I'd like to suggest a slight simplification with the repetition marks:

X:1
    T: Kilmartin Rise
    C: David Hansen ©1993
    M: 4/4
    K: G
    L: 1/32
    A,4B,4|G6F2E2D6 B,6A,2B,2D6|E6F2G4F4 E8 G4A4|B6c2B4A4 G6F2E2D6|E6F2G2A6 F8 E4F4|
    G6F2E2D6 B,6A,2B,2D6|E6F2G4A4 B8 e3fe2d2|B6A2G2F6 E6D2B,2A,6|B,2E6 F4 G2F2 E8:||
    G4A4|B6e2e4f4 e6d2B2A6|B6e2e4f4 e8 e4f4|g6f2e2c6 B6A2F2D6|G,6A,2B,2G6 F8 E4F4|
    G6F2E2D6 B,6A,2B,2D6|B6A2G2A6 F8 e3fe2d2|B6A2G2F6 E6D2B,2A,6|B,2E6 F4 G2F2 E8:||

At least, this lets my Midi converter play it correctly without getting into the hassle of separately noting 1., 2. endings of parts.
  9. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    For anyone who prefers, the ABC can be converted to mandolin tab, standard notation, or a midi sound file here...
    http://mandolintab.net/abcconverter.php
  10. James Rankine
    James Rankine
    Thanks Marcy. In the year I have been submitting to the song a week I have always ignored the abc and just looked for the music on the session or wherever, but this is really clever. You can instantly change the key. Now if I'd only known that before! I am now a confirmed abc convert.
  11. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    I was like yourself at first with abc, James. Could read standard notation so why bother with this extra thing to learn, but very quickly came to use abc regularly. It is quick, logical and for writing down single melody lines is excellent. The files are tiny too, so very easily e-mailed - I live in an area where around 2 mbs is the norm for broadband! The ability to change key is another great asset.
  12. James Rankine
    James Rankine
    I have to say the music looks pretty scary. Is there a dotted 1/16 note creeping in there? One to learn by ear methinks.
  13. dustyamps
    dustyamps
    Nice composition and recording David, thanks for sharing.
  14. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    James: the music looks pretty scary

It's ornaments written out, that's all. The persistent problem of an inherently aural tradition genre is what to write and what not to write. On thesession.org, you'll find all variations from barebone simplistic to ultra-complete. I looked up slow airs in Francis O'Neill's Music of Ireland once and looked away again - they all appeared like Bach fugues. With a given score, you have the reverse problem: what to play and what not to play; luckily, the decision is yours.

When I will have this score down, I will make it sound at least as simple and charming as David played it, I hope.
  15. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Here is my version, rough but kind of sunkissed

I just re-read my hopes stated in my last post. Simple: definitely. Charming: ah well...
  16. llamela
    llamela
    What is today's nostalgia if not the commodification of the past? Yet there is nothing nostalgic about this tune, rather this is the cutting edge of contemporary writing - traditional music at its best; a rare talent indeed.
  17. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    Well done Bertram, charming is an elusive quality and I'm not convinced that I captured that in my recording either. I am honored that you would take the time to learn my tune.
  18. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Thanks David, I can assure you it was quality time and it's me who feels honored.
  19. Mike Floorstand
    Mike Floorstand
    Nearly missed this - lovely tune and great photos David! My own video of the Sleeping Tune (SOTW early last year ) has photos taken from the Craignish peninsula which is about a 20 minute drive from Kilmartin (as long as you don't get stuck behind a sheep).

There is a rather excellent "museum of ancient culture" in Kilmartin now - I don't think it was there in 1993 if that is when you last went? The local archaeology (and natural history, and more recent human history) is quite fascinating, and probably still relatively unexplored.
  20. James Rankine
    James Rankine
    I've been practising David's beautiful tune on the piano since he posted it and it has taken me this long to get a version worthy of public consumption. So thanks David for writing such a great tune and giving me some focus for my piano practice.
    Here it is, piano, mandolin and guitar.

21. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    James that was sublime, beautiful, wow, really nicely played. Thanks for that.