New here

1. Lou Giordano
    Lou Giordano
    Hi all.

I'm a newbie still after a couple of years on and a couple off.

I have been working with Steve Kaufman's FLatPickin The Gospels for Mandolin for about a month. It has a lot of my favorites. The cool thing about it for me is it has two arrangements for most songs. One easier one for newbies like and one arranged by Steve with all the notes for folks that can play

I may get a shot to play a couple with my Pastor at a luncheon in about a month.

Living up to Psalm 33:3 I a challenge I'm working on.

See you around.
  2. Jandante
    Jandante
    Yes it is a challenge, but exciting too.
    I would be interested in your choice for the luncheon.
    Blessings
  3. crisscross
    crisscross
    It bridges the gap between melody and improvised solo quite well.
  4. Lou Giordano
    Lou Giordano
    Hi Jandante,

I'm practicing these ;

Blessed Assurance
    Sweet Hour of Prayer
    Just a Closer Walk With The
    In The Garden
    Sweet By and By
    When The Roll is Called Up Yonder

The Pastor is the musician, I'm just the newbie / wanabie , he will pick when wee meet in a couple of weeks. The luncheon is in late September.

One cool bit of info. In The Garden was written in Lakehurst, NJ. That is about 6 mile from my home.
  5. Jandante
    Jandante
    Thanks, Lou, great choice, the ones I look out for (not too fast), and In the Garden is on my music stand and I have been playing along with hubby on guitar.

It makes my practice to much more enjoyable to have someone with a lovely voice, and the rhythm of the guitar, to play along with.

I see on my music sheet that In the Garden was written in 1912, lovely that you have that connection. It has been a favourite of mine for some time.

Jan
  6. Lou Giordano
    Lou Giordano
    Well my name and fast are usually not in the same sentence Except maybe when folks are talking about eating habits

That's why Kaufman's book is so helpful for me, two arrangements of each song. I'm working on the easier of the two.

Yes, having someone to play along with really helps. A couple of years ago when I was just beginning, I had a couple of friends that were playing most of their lives. We would play together once a week. It really helped me and it was fun.
  7. Gary Flye
    Gary Flye
    Hi Friends,

I have been on Mandolin Cafe for about 2 years but never took the time to check out Groups. I love playing Gospel music on my mandolin so am very glad to meet up with you.

Gary