Md515

1. WayneLetang
    WayneLetang
    Stepping a wee bit bought a MD515 yesterday, still like my 305
  2. ErichDC
    ErichDC
    I bought one around 2010 or so. I just pulled it out after it sitting for years, two cross country moves, storage in 100+ heat and winter cold, from 60% humidity to 5%..... It sat in the case forgotten about as my tumultuous life unfolded for several years.

I'm in a good spot now, and I opened up the case on New Year's Eve expecting to find cracks, checking, frets sticking out, all the nightmarish stuff. I have to admit, I unzipped the case with not a small amount of guilt and dread knowing whatever lies within is my own fault.

Unbelievably, it is in new condition!! It is as the day I bought it, with two exceptions; the tone is much better and the sustain goes forever.

I had the 515 professionally set up when I bought it, and I played it for about a week before my life went haywire. When I pulled it out of the case a few days ago it was only a half-step out of tune on all strings, and the action is superb for me.

I have totally fallen in love with this mandolin. It has shown an unreal amount of resiliency and build quality, and it sounds so good. Warm and mellow but bright at the same time. It's hard to describe.

Contrast this storage abused 515 with my Guild built in Fender's Corona CA custom shop. Huge splits between seams front and back, pick guard peeling, frets all jangly, bridge pulling off the top, and the finish. Holy cow the finish..... It looks like shattered glass. It's full of a pattern of huge shards of elongated curved triangles that looks just like a house window that broke. Strangely enough the finish on the back is fine.

Luckily, the Guild was the only casualty. My 1990's Martin is fine, and sounds great, same with my 2000 Taylor. In fact they look and sound better than ever just like my Eastman 515.

I suppose with the move from NJ to CA something got lost in the translation..... I know I neglected it, but the others survived. Note to self, big names don't mean a thing.

Anyway, if Eastman still builds them like this, they are making great mandolins that will last a lifetime based on the neglectful care I've shown mine.

I had a motorcycle like that once, a Suzuki Bandit 1200S. I rode the stink out of that machine and it always came up smiling, great bike, and I'm sorry I sold it.

I'll never sell this 515, ever.