The Water Is Wide

1. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    This is a well-known traditional song, originally collected by Cecil Sharp but since recorded very widely on both sides of the Atlantic. This arrangement for four voices is by Steve Hendricks:

http://sca.uwaterloo.ca/Hendricks/Folksong/wateris.pdf

I've adapted Steve's arrangement for mandolins, playing the tune in three different octaves.

Gibson Ajr mandolin
    Mid-Missouri M-0W mandolin
    Mid-Missouri M-111 octave mandolin
    Ozark tenor guitar
    Suzuki MC-815 mandocello

Martin
  2. Christian DP
    Christian DP
    Nice version Martin! I just downloaded the arrangement you linked and maybe will also try a 4/4 version some day. But for my video, I played the 6/8 version from the German website Die Notenschleuderhttps://www.free-notes.net/cgi-bin/n...ang=de&db=Main
    This virtual songbook allows you to transpose the songs to any tonality. I chose G-Major, so I had to play a minimum of barre chords on the guitar and could play the melody in two octaves:
  3. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Tastefully played, and aaaaah! the tremolo. Lovely.
  4. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Lovely version and great pictures, Christian. Interesting with that time signature too; a pleasant change from the usual versions I know and have played and sung, usually in Common Time. Great balance and blend between your instruments as usual.
  5. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    Very nice, Christian! The timing sounds quite different played in 6/8, which gives it an intriguing twist. My old 2014 recording has too many parts and comes out rather muddy as a result (although it improves as I move up the octaves and the lead voice becomes clearer). I have found a very nice lead sheet in 4/4 and will try to make a new recording when I find the time.

Martin
  6. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    You developed such a clean tone over the whole fretboard, Christian. You show a good example how to set a goal and then follow systematically the way achieve it – like you did it before with tremolo playing.

Martin, your recording is a good one too. Only you listen to it now with all the experiences you made over the intervening years.
  7. Christian DP
    Christian DP
    Thanks to all. I think, there's still a lot of work on the higher positions to be done, it's a matter of luck wether the notes ring out clearly or rather muddy...