#284 ~ The Cowboy Waltz

1. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    This week's winner is The Cowboy Waltz, submitted as Western Swing.

Here are some videos:

Here's standard notation and tab

Here it is on thesession.org
  2. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    Here's the Cowboy Waltz as played by Jesse Mears, a fine Texas fiddler.

Here's a link to the Lost Weekend Western Swing band playing the Cowboy Waltz.

http://www.reverbnation.com/lostweek...on_fb:unknown#
  3. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    I recorded a rather bare bones version of the Cowboy Waltz a couple of years ago. Gibson Ajr mandolin and tenor guitar:

It's a great tune, and not difficult. I'll have a look if I can find a harmony somewhere to update my old recording. Also check out the great mandolin recording of this tune on Skip Gorman's "Mandolin In The Cow Camp" album.

Martin
  4. Flatland
    Flatland
    What a great old tune. This is a perfect kitchen tune for those long Alaska nights, one that doesn't send the wife up the walls. Thanks. I've been a 'cafe lurker for many years, and finally decided to join. This is my first (and currently favorite) forum.
  5. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    Further to my post earlier today, I have now re-recorded the Cowboy Waltz in better quality and a more varied version.

This is a combination of two slightly different variants, both with nice double stops:

http://www.showman.org/Tunes/CowboyWaltz.pdf

http://www.tangosite.com/pershost/MME/tangosite/db2.nsf/pub/BHST-7TPCDZ/$file/cowboy-waltz.pdf

1921 Gibson Ajr mandolin
    Ozark tenor guitar

Martin
  6. Flatland
    Flatland
    Martin Jonas, I like this version and going from your earlier version to this is very instructional. Thanks!
  7. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    I borrowed pits and pieces from different versions of this tune to come up with this mongrel Cowboy Waltz.

8. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    Well done! I really liked Martin's feel for the tune especially on his second version. The slide show of all those great cowboy images fit the tune perfectly. David, your version was very beautifully played and the backup was exactly right. Love that squeeze box! (and your mandolin too of course.)
  9. Niavlys
    Niavlys
    My very short version with mandolin and guitar:

Martin and David, I admire your endurance and the quality and diversity of your backings, well done!
  10. Hendrik Luurtsema
    Hendrik Luurtsema
    That was excellent Niavlys! you made yourself a masterpiece there
  11. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    I agree! That's beautiful, Niavlys.
  12. jonny250
    jonny250
    Nicely done Niavlys
  13. Niavlys
    Niavlys
    Many thanks to you guys! I kept it simple and short because I didn't want to spend too much time on it, I'm glad you like it
  14. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    Very nice and authentic "cowboy" feeling on this one. Nice choice of a tasteful electric guitar for backup. Well done!
  15. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    David -- very nice build up in the backing from the minimalist concertina drone to full band backing.

Niavlys -- great tone and I love those double stops!

Thanks to Michael, Flatland and Niavlys for your kind comments on my recording. I really like this tune, as it's so easy-going and the waltz feel just slips naturally into the fingers.

Martin
  16. maudlin mandolin
    maudlin mandolin
    Very good Niavlys -some nice touches in your version.
    Mine is a bit more straightforward.

17. Manfred Hacker
    Manfred Hacker
    Martin, your orchestra sounds very good.
    Excellent, David, does your cowboy have Irish roots? ;-)
    Niavlys, superb playing on multiple instruments.
    Maudlin, solid British cowboy ...

Here is my effort, after dozens of takes, accompaniment by BIAB:

18. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    Beautiful tone and excellent picking. Thanks Manfred.
  19. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    Wow Manfred! Those double stops are gorgeous. I love all these versions and am thinking I've got to learn this one.
  20. Steve Cantrell
    Steve Cantrell
    You guys all sound great. I've been studying over Skip Gorman's version of this tune and would like to work that out. Check that one out if you've never heard it.
  21. dustyamps
    dustyamps
    Enjoyed everyone's version. Here is me wishing I was by the campfire.
  22. Steve Cantrell
    Steve Cantrell
    I'm a little late, but here's my take on it. Spotted some horses grazing in a pasture this afternoon and went home and got after it.
  23. Steve Cantrell
    Steve Cantrell
    Dustyamps, I know just what you mean about the campfire. Nicely done, sir.
  24. GKWilson
    GKWilson
    Playing the Campy by the campfire.
    Already has me dreaming for Spring.
    maudlin, Manfred, and Dusty. Very enjoyable takes.
    Gary
  25. Christian DP
    Christian DP
    I'm glad I found another Waltz on The SAW syllabus, so I tried to play it myself:
  26. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Nice relaxed, laid back playing there Christian, though I was hoping to see more cows!
  27. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison
    Very nice CC - well played and lilting - nice clear notes. And I was hoping to see more boys. Simon is into cows...I...oh,well...
  28. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Great tune and playing, Christian, and some super graphics. Reminiscent of "A Four-Legged Friend" in one part, but then cowboys always did love their horses, if I remember from my childhood cinema trips!
  29. Christian DP
    Christian DP
    Thanks Simon, Ginny and John!
  30. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Clean tone and superb tremolo, Christian.