Dowd's Number 9/Lads of Laois

1. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Dowd's #9 has been much discussed in books (who was Dowd? where are numbers 1 thru 8?), and is either loved or hated for its complicated circular B part. Lads of Laois is here just to keep it company.

ABC on thesession.org

2. gortnamona
    gortnamona
    very nice Bertram, had never heard this one before, just reading the session notes, i would tend to agree that No 9 was a whiskey brand and there never was another 8 tunes, have added this to my list to learn, thanks for posting
  3. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Thanks Lawrence, I agree that the whiskey angle would make ends meet:
    - the tune is attributed to Sligo fiddler John O'Dowd, whose name bears resemblance with the
    - Waterford pub "Downes", where they used to make a popular blend called "No. 9".
    - the unstoppable Irish custom of wisecracking in pubs in general and in sessions in particular may have made the connection. Probably the name was not coined by O'Dowd himself, but by punsters who knew both the spirited tune and the tuned spirit.
  4. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    That sounds like a tricky one to me. Really nice!
    I checked out the title on The Session too. I vote for that alternate title--The Cow With the Crooked Horn.
  5. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Thanks Marcy. Yes, "crooked" nails it, too.
  6. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Fine effort, B. And here was I thinking the title referred to his shoe size! I really like that chair of yours too.
  7. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Shoe size is also a good theory. There's more than that, of course, just in case Mr. O'Dowd was into alternative meds such as W. Schüssler's cell salts...

8. GKWilson
    GKWilson
    Nice pairing Bertram. I haven't heard these two tunes either.
    And, ditto on the chair. I've been looking for a computer chair
    with folding arms for a long time.
    Gary
  9. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Thanks John and Gary for your kind words - is this the point at which I should admit to having recorded just a camouflaged furniture ad?
  10. dustyamps
    dustyamps
    Well played B, thanks for your contributions of tunes.
  11. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    Didn't the Beatles do a version of this song? (I think they called it "Revolution 9".) Their version didn't really have a melody at all so it's hard to compare the two. Great pickin' on a great chair!
  12. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Thanks Dusty and Michael.
    The Beatles version in it might be revealed if you play it backwards and listen for my secret recipe for healing MAS.

This chair thing freaks me out - if that is the key to success, maybe I should start a thread about it on the Cafe? (the title could be "the chair shapes the player", or "how to cure CAS").
    This might be just yet another version again.