Question for J Bovier Owners

1. Maczart
    Maczart
    I have been playing the mandolin for about a year now and I'm ready to move up to a better instrument. I've had an opportunity to play some lower end and mid-range Kentucky, The Loar and Eastman mandos along with some higher end ones like Collings and Northfield. I've heard a lot of praise for J Bovier mandolins and they are right in my price range but have not been able to find one to play.

My question to J Bovier owners is this: Which mandolins did you try and reject in favor of your J Bovier? I realize that this is somewhat subjective but having played the aforementioned instruments, it may give me a sense of where the J Boviers stand in comparison. I'd really appreciate any input you can provide as I am itching to pull the trigger on a new mando.

Thanks,
    Mac
  2. timcw4
    timcw4
    Hi Mac - hope I can be some help. I've only got 6 months in on mandolin, but knew I wanted to trade my Craigslist all laminate F for something I'd be happy with until I could afford something really nice. I gave myself a budget of $500 and nothing locally fit that bill, so I knew I'd have to order online. I did a LOT of homework and test driving in stores to decide what I wanted. I found that the Cafe's mantra was true - you get more bang for your buck on A models than F models. That narrowed down my search. I also knew I wanted / needed a great setup, so that narrowed down my choices as well. Long story short, I could not find a BAD review on JBovier mandolins anywhere so took a chance and it paid off.

Granted, my A5T is the only JBovier I've played so I'm not an expert by any means, but what I like about mine in no certain order. First, playability - it is easily the best setup mandolin I've had my hands on. Whatever brand / store you go with, a good setup is key. Next, volume - holy crap this thing is loud. I use custom light strings (a tad lighter than standard lights) and it still scares my neighbor's chickens! Next, workmanship - its not perfect but it is FAR nicer than most imports I've seen in this price range. Finally - features, ebony fingerboard and bridge, bone nut, not Tusq, etc. Equivalent features on a Kentucky A model would be a 505 and the cheapest one I've seen is a $100 more than the A5. I also don't think Kentucky has the QA or setup that JBovier has either. What I don't like about it - its a little brighter than I'd like. I think this is due to being so new and the fact I haven't found the perfect pick / string mojo for it yet.

If you do decide to try one, I'd suggest contacting Kyle @ the Mando Shop. Very nice fella and did an exceptional setup on mine.

MAS is a great and powerful thing...good luck to you!

Tim
  3. Michael Bridges
    Michael Bridges
    Mac, I've had a bit of a chance to play some of the Kentuckys (900 & 1000), and The Loars (600-700). Not a lot on Eastman. In comparison, I think my JB is easier to play than any of them. The radiused fretboard and large frets enter into that. Tone-wise, it's AT LEAST as good as the higher dollar Ken. models, and better than the Loars. I was not impressed with the fit and finish on the Loars, and the Kentucky's seem to be a bit inconsistant.No complaints with fit n finish on my A5-T. Keep in mind, I paid $469.00 for this thing, and it compares well or exceeds mandos costing 2-3 times as much, or more. Also love the fact that Jeff Cowherd, who essentially IS J. Bovier, is a great guy to deal with. Really knowledgeable, helpful, and really interested in making sure his customers are happy. These days, that sort of attitude carries a lot of weight with me! I'm really convinced these are the best bang for the back going. Hope that helps.
  4. Michael Bridges
    Michael Bridges
    I also agree with Tim on Kyle at The MandoShop! Professional, very helpful, and does an excellent job with helping select the right instrument. Would definitely by from him again!
  5. Maczart
    Maczart
    Tim and Michael,

Thanks for taking time to answer my question. Glad to hear you both had such a positive experience with JBovier mandos. Buying an instrument sight unseen is taking a big leap of faith. Seems like an A5T might be the way to go for me.

Tim, like you I spent a lot of time going to most of the local stringed instrument stores trying out mandolins (big shout out to Old Town Pickin' Parlor in Arvada, CO) but I was a little disappointed in the Loars and Eastmans that were in my price range.

Michael, thanks for your comparison with the Kentuckys. Based on my experience, I would probably have chosen one of the Kentuckys I had a chance to play. Seems like JBoviers compare quite well.

Thanks again guys for your input. Good stuff there. I guess my next step will be to give Kyle at the Mando Shop a call. I'll let you know how it goes.

Mac
  6. Ping
    Ping
    Here in Thailand, there are 3 J.bovier. Two A5S owned by me and another One A5S owned by Mr. Chritopher (Canadian live in Thai). Both of us feel good at J.bovier.
    Ping