Finger rest

1. Mark Wilson
    Mark Wilson
    I have worn the satin finish smooth with my finger tips right where a fingerrest might be. I don't post but evidently I brush a bit.

Played an Ellis F5 this summer and kinda liked playing with that finger rest.

Anyhow Tom offer to install a unbound ebony Ellis finger rest and do a re-setup on the Pava for the price of the part if I returned it. I mulled that over a while and decided I didn't want to be that long without it.

So I order one from the Ellis shop and a local builder (James Bernade) is gonna install it Saturday. He's finishing a couple F5's so I'm looking forward to seeing those.

Anyone else thought of adding a finger rest to your Pava? Rubbed a shiny spot on the satin finish yet?

I'll take some before & after pictures.
  2. wmaness
    wmaness
    Hey Mark, that sounds like you have been playing that Pava. I have a Collings that I have made a shiny spot too. I also don't plant my fingertips, kind of strange. I think it would look good if I could buff the entire mandolin.
    I was able to play an Ellis F at the IBMA this year and meet Tom at his booth. That was cool. I'm still loving my Pava, but would love to have an Ellis. "MAS" is bad thing unless you have deep pockets.
    Keep on pickin, Wayne
  3. Mark Wilson
    Mark Wilson
    Finally.. got the Ellis finger-rest installed on my Pava. Should have gotten one from the get-go as it will keep me off the satin finish. Plays perfect with it on and I kinda like the way it looks. Thanks to James for the pro install!!
  4. Grommet
    Grommet
    Purchased my Satin model in November 2014 and could see some shine in that area within 3 days. By now the area needing protection is a well defined finger rest shape. I''ll trace it and have one made to fit or have it buffed overall I guess. I think it is more from brushing than posting, but I don't want it to damage the finish. I really wanted one of those "narrow necktie" looking abbreviated ones like Bill Bussman puts on some of his instruments. But my fingers have may already voted.

Scott
  5. Grommet
    Grommet
    Right after posting the above I hand buffed my Satin Pava with McGuires #7 and the finger shine was was no longer visible. Added a finger rest and an arm rest for good measure. After all she is a treasure!
    Scott