Gibson Jam Master #23

1. Bluegrassrules
    Bluegrassrules
    Gibson Jam Master #23
    I have been a Gibson Jam Master owner for less than 24 hrs and these are my thoughts on the mandolin.

The tones are more complex and 3 dimensional then my Eastman nice highs and throaty lows. The highs have that bell like quality that I have been reading about, very smooth and even there is no real volume difference between the low and high frequencies. I thought I was buying the Mandolin for the lows and bark but the highs are the real winner, it just sounds right, like Skaggs. As compared to my Eastman the lows are honkyer with more bark and nice low-mid thwack especially around the 5th and 7th frets (bass notes) now I more fully understand the concept of “chop” it is not just the whacking of the chord but the sound it makes. Gibson’s seem to have a specific chop tone but with the Jam Master I can more fully articulate the chords and not deaden the chop as much, on my Eastman the high notes would sound shrill but with #23 the high notes in the chop are silky smooth.

There is definitely volume to be had, I have not had it in a picking situation yet but it seems to be loud. What I like about the volume is that it takes less effort to get the volume so that means for me cleaner and more precise notes. Rather than banging on your mandolin for volume, with the Jam Master you just play more aggressively and it becomes louder if that make senses. When the instrument is strummed with open or closed chord forms you can really feel the resonance and hear the acoustic qualities of the mandolin, it has the vibe of a good acoustic guitar meaning it resonates and sustains for a very long time…and this is out of the box, I mean the Mandolin is only a month and a half old, Just think how it will sound years from now.

Have a great day, Brian.
  2. 300win
    300win
    There ya' go ! My thoughts exactly on my # 50. It sounds like a mandolin is supposed to sound in every complete way. Brian I too have noticed that I don't have to "hit" as hard as I've always had to do. The JM is very, very, responsive to the slightest touch.
  3. Greg Wilson
    Greg Wilson
    you use better words than me my friend but thats my experience exactly.