Another video question

1. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    So, I brought my new little Insignia HD video camera with me to Texas, but I didn't bring the installation disc that obviously puts something on the computer that allows you to see the video. I tried transferring the video via the mini usb cable that you use, but when it plays it on the windows media player, it says 'error in downloading codec' and you get the sound, but not the picture. I'm pretty clueless about this tech stuff... not even certain what codec is, other than necessary! I googled Insignia codec, and other seemingly related terms, came up with a sight (never found an official Insignia site) that said something about downloading Insignia stuff, but couldn't get that to work. Tried transferring the file (it's .AVI) onto my computer, then googled video converter, downloaded one, and tried converting it, it was going to take 5 hours to convert a 1.5 minute video, so after 45 minutes, I aborted that. Googled again, found a free online converter, tried it with different settings, both the .wmv and .mov.... converted it fine and quick, BUT in every setting, the picture was extremely pixalated.

Unless I can figure something out, you'll get no videos from me for another couple of weeks!

Thanks for any help!
  2. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Here's the site Barbara:

http://www.insigniaproducts.com/prod...-DCC5HB09.html

Not sure which camera is yours but they have drivers on there and other product support. Click the "support" tab on the page you get to from the link.
  3. HddnKat
    HddnKat
    What model is it? I will look for the drivers online for you
  4. Mike Romkey
    Mike Romkey
    Ah ha! This explains why you haven't submitted your version of Salt Creek!
  5. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    The more I try, the stupider I feel~ So, I went to the insigniaproducts site.... and that is the camera I have. I went to the support. I clicked on the drivers link. It downloads something as a zip file. Now, for the life of me, I can't figure out how to unzip it! I know I used to be able to unzip stuff! My winzip it says I haven't registered it, use the evaluation version.... opens up something that says its the hd nsdcc5hb09, then a list of files that I don't have a clue what they are.... can't figure out how to make this all work! It's so frustrating, and nothing is easy anymore, if you aren't a complete tech savvy person!

While trying to figure this out, I downloaded something else, a codec that some other video converter said I needed, now, when I open the file in windows media, there IS video... it starts, runs most of the time, no sound, then the sound starts, and then the video freezes!

I know that downloading and installing a bunch of cr*p on my computer is stupid, but this is an old computer that is probably on it's last legs anyway.
  6. Joe Nobiling
    Joe Nobiling
    My apologies as you aren't gonna like this, as I said before, and as you said, don't tell me this, but I can't help myself...
    get a Mac.
  7. HddnKat
    HddnKat
    Barbara, I think once you can unzip it to a folder, if you run the file called Launch it may go ahead and install it all for you. Or else, once you unzip it, try to open one of the videos again in Windows Media PLayer, and when it says it doesn't have the codec, see if you can browse to that folder and show it where to find the codec it needs.
  8. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    I'm about to just give up. I'm watching my 19 month old granddaughter today, so that doesn't give me a lot of time to try to figure this stuff out! I did manage to get the driver thing unzipped, the saved video still wouldn't play right. Now my camera is dead. I had charged it up (or so I thought) but it still says the battery is dead and turns off. I have all these different devices that charge up with similar cords (the mini usb to wall plug), but none of them say which device they go to. You'd think they were interchangable... but the one I used must not have done the trick, even though the light turned on when I plugged it in last night.
  9. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    If you have clip you want already saved as an AVI, you may be able to upload it directly to YouTube and have YouTube do the conversion for you. This may not be practical if the source AVI is very large, or if you can't isolate the clip you want without viewing it on your computer.
  10. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    This is so crazy! I found the right charger, got my camera charged. Uninstalled and reinstalled the driver. Now when I plug my camera into my computer via mini usb, and try to open it, I get the error, that it's not accessible due to I/O device error! Before, I was able to access the files this way, and I downloaded one, but was not able to see the video! Now, I can't even get it to access the device to see or download the files! I think it's a conspiracy!
  11. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    so, i changed the usb port, and was able to access the videos. They are still not synced, audio and video. They are if you watch them on the camera itself. I seem to remember having some problem like this on my other computer, and it was suggested that I clear unneeded stuff off my computer, or something like that. I downloaded a video onto my computer, and am uploading it to youtube, and we'll see if it converts it and plays it right.. stay tuned!
  12. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Ok! I never could get it to play right on my computer, but I put it on my computer, then uploaded it to youtube....

13. Eddie Sheehy
    We're all pulling for you Barbara....
  14. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Hooray.
  15. HddnKat
    HddnKat
    Ah, you tricked her with the dual camera decoy. My babies always gave their cutest stuff right after the camera was turned off.
  16. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    I am quite the proud Gramma, that's for sure! I've just got to remember NOT to talk so loud while I'm videoing, since I'm the closest to the mic!
  17. Mike Romkey
    Mike Romkey
    Victory! And since Joe was already kind enough to point out that you wouldn't be having these problems if you were using a Mac laptop, I won't have to. : )
  18. Joe Nobiling
    Joe Nobiling
    Congrats on hanging there through it all, Barb.
  19. HddnKat
    HddnKat
    Just a thought about the video and audio not syncing - since it's a HD camera (lots of digital information) and since you say it's an older computer, I bet the USB is USB 1.0, - I have found more than once that if I upload my digital through the USB port the audio gets out of sync, but if I can upload through a Firewire port, it all stays together.
  20. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    HddnHat, that would only be the case if you were actually capturing the video and audio on the computer over the USB link - i.e. using your camera as a web cam, or in some other scenarios where the computer is capturing pre-recorded analog material and digitizing it during the transfer. In Barbara's case, the file has already been captured and saved on her camera's drive as an AVI, so she's only using USB for file transfer, and since the audio and video will be correctly synced in the AVI file, the method you use to transfer it makes no difference.

In her case the computer can't display the video properly because either its CPU is too slow, or, more likely, the hard drive is too full and fragmented for the computer to read the data from it speedily enough. Clearing some hard drive space and defragmenting the drive might fix the problem.
  21. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Thanks guys, for all the help & suggestions. This old computer is just something that's here at the house for when I'm 'visiting'! So many people have used it, downloading all sorts of stuff you'd never want on it.... my daughter has her own MAC notebook that she uses instead of this old dinosaur! It really doesn't matter if the sound and video are synced to try to watch it on here, as long as I can get them downloaded onto the computer, and uploaded onto YouTube and they come out OK there!