Lios na Banriona / The Fort Of The Fairy Queen (Nollaig Casey)

1. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    This is an Irish slow air written by Nollaig Casey. I've played it as a duet of mandolin and octave mandolin, with tenor guitar backing. My tempo is slightly faster than Nollaig's original (Link), as that's how it felt right to me.

This arrangement, and the harmony part, are from the website of the Ottawa Fiddle Ensemble at:

http://www.alfwarnock.info/ofe/pdf/68.pdf

Mid-Missouri M-0W mandolin
    Mid-Missouri M-111 bouzouki/octave mandolin
    Ozark tenor guitar

Martin
  2. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    Since I first recorded this tune in 2015, it has become a regular at our weekly mandolin gatherings, and I have now re-recorded it for my series of lockdown home videos.

1921 Gibson Ajr mandolin (x2)
    Vintage Viaten tenor guitar

Martin
  3. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Nicely done, Martin. I can imagine the fun you have playing with your mandolin friends.
  4. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    Thanks, Frithjof. Yes, it's a fun group -- quite a mixed skill level, so we're trying to get arrangements that are both enjoyable and accessible. This Nollaig Casey tune is good fun to play, even if I got into the habit of taking it fairly briskly compared to Nollaig's original, a bit more like a march than a slow air.

Martin
  5. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    The tune sounds fun! It doesn't sound like a slow air at all, but it does sound great!
  6. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    Thanks, Dennis. It's a bit more like a slow air if you listen to the original linked in my 2015 post above. However, it's one of those tunes that felt like it wanted to be played faster and more rhythmic when I learned it, so that's what I did.