The group has grown

1. Bill Bradshaw
    Bill Bradshaw
    That is a really nice looking mandolin Dorothy. You added some really nice touches to personalize it. Mine's a stock model A so I'm sure you folks back in "Stiver Country" know what it looks like. You can imagine the sound too.

I was picking with a few friends the other night and one of the guys was playing his distressed Gibson F. A very neat sounding mandolin by all means, but my Stiver definitely belonged in the room. It aint no slouch.

I continue to get comments about my Stiver and everybody who owns one, loves thiers, but I'm curious about why they seem relatively unknown (or at least undiscussed) in the mandolin world. It seems there's a pretty long list of makers that shows up on The Cafe whenever someone asks about what to buy, but Stiver doesn't show up all that often. Anyone else ever notice that? There's no doubt he consistently makes excellent instruments.

Well, it looks like for now at least, it's my honor to represent Stiver owners out west. Heck, maybe I'm the only one!

Congratulations Andrew.

Cheers,

Bill
  2. Andrew Reckhart
    Andrew Reckhart
    I've always wondered the same thing. I believe that Stivers are some of the best mandolins out there dollar for dollar. The problem that I see is that Stivers are only available from 1 source Elderly. I feel that if they were marketed nationally then they would be more popular. Lou is in his 70's and doesn't have any other employees. I can't imagine how long the wait would be if he were to go national. It is already around a year.
  3. Montananmrk
    Montananmrk
    The other play to get a Stiver is Acoustic Music Works in Pittsburgh, PA. He has a good selection of new and used Stivers. I have a Stiver two point varnish. It is awesome!