Amp questions

1. PhilGE
    PhilGE
    I will soon need a practice amp for an electric guitar (on it's way) I hope to string in 5ths. Any suggestions on something not too cheap, but nothing fancy?

For that matter, can an "acoustic" amp work for an electric instrument? What are the pros and cons?

-Phil
  2. Explorer
    Explorer
    An acoustic amp attempts to replicate the signal without coloration. Most amps for electric add character.

Some folks want to do screaming electric, and look for an amp which distorts musically from the start.

I have an ESP FM-408 eight-string on the way (destined for FFT, Bb0 through B4), and I'll probably be replacing the stock EMG 808 pickups (active) with Q-tuner pickups (passive). Q-tuners are very clear, very hot, and add no coloration to the sound. At that point, I'll be using an acoustic amp with it, and will rely on outboard gear and effects to get any particular sound I want, outside of what the guitar is capable of.

So, what are you looking for? Cheap? Transparent? Crunchy? Built-in reverb? Effects loop?

My best suggestion is to define what your needs and desires are, and then look online for an amp that fits the bill. Once you've found a few which seem close, then look up online reviews for those specific models in places where you'll get something untainted by profit motive. (For reviews and opinions on clean amps, for example, I generally trust the review threads on acoustic guitar forums.)

Forgive me for the "teach a person to fish" ethos. I just figure that it's better for you, and anyone following this advice in the future, to learn how to do a good search, rather than just reading a list of a few nice portable/practice amps I'm partial to....

Incidentally, I like that you're coming over to the dark side. First your five-string guittern, and now a six-string. Will you be adding the high B4 on the electric?
  3. PhilGE
    PhilGE
    Thanks for the words of encouragement. I'm "talking" to the folks at Octave4Plus about a string set from C2 to B4. I assume this will be the "Next Standard Tuning."

-Phil
  4. groveland
    groveland
    For the dirty-but-musical, I like Mesa tube amplifier sections. The distortion I prefer comes mainly from the amplifier section, and I can do without the fuzziness of an overdriven preamp. (I used to use their preamps.) It doesn't have to be Mesa, but they break up easily with a beefy tone that I like.

And instead of an old-style tube preamp, I use the Boss GT-8. I found I have much more control and variety over the 'preamp' section that way, and tailor it to match the amplifier section. The result is as musical or non-musical as I want to be.

That through a couple Celestions in stereo, and I am supremely happy.

Something you really have to consider with all this is, there's nothing like great pickups on your guitar to make an amp sing. Weak pickups will produce wimpier tone. For example, I had an Epiphone Dot years ago, and a change of pickups was required - After that (and new tuners, bridge), it became a real favorite.
  5. PhilGE
    PhilGE
    A friend has agreed to loan me use of his Laney GC50A 112 Combo. I think this will work well. The electric guitar (not the "Guittern") I'm instrument I'm getting is an Epiphone Limited Edition 1966 G-400.