north east

1. JeffD
    JeffD
    Any luthiers in the north east USA who specialize in repair and set up of bowlbacks? I am in upstate NY, and would be willing to drive a day to find someone. I have one bowlback that buzzes a little on the D string. Another that just started buzzing a lot on the A string. And a third that has separated at the neck and needs to be repaired.

The regular luthiers I have talked to won't touch a bowlback except to change strings and set the bridge.

Is there anyone competant to work on bowlbacks around here?
  2. Kirk
    Kirk
    Hello Jeff,
    I just had an old George Bauer bowl back repaired at Bernunzio Music in Rochester. They did a very nice job replacing the fretboard (bowed neck) and repairing some top cracks. It sounds great. Ask for Robbie if you call them.

Good luck !
  3. guitharsis
    guitharsis
    Hi Jeff,
    Don't know where you're located but Richard at Stutzman's in Rochester does a tremendous job.
    Agree with Kirk that Robbie at Bernunzio's is great too.
  4. irishman
    irishman
    I also have a bowlback in need of repair, there is a slight warp in the facing. Problem is, that I am in Charlotte NC. I dont know what it would be like to ship an antique mandolin up the east coast. I guess no one makes a case for old bowlbacks.
  5. guitharsis
    guitharsis
    Hi irishman,
    I believe that Elderly may have some. Also, the Eastman bowlback cases may fit.
  6. MANDOLINMYSTER
    MANDOLINMYSTER
    I have done quite a few resorations on Bowlback, mostly for my own collection.