Just joined the forum and the group

1. HonketyHank
    HonketyHank
    Hi.
    I recently began trying to relearn the banjo after a 40 year hiatus. My wife felt left out so I bought her an entry level mandolin which we are both trying to learn. I also bought an old Vega 'Little Wonder' mandolin banjo which I have restored, so now we can each play mandolin-y stuff at the same time.

I look forward to discussions and tips in this group and from the cafe in general.

I find the Banjo Hangout to be great in this respect as far as my real banjo is play is concerned.
  2. WhimsyGal
    WhimsyGal
    Welcome! I'm just learning the Mandolin myself (if I can get the thing tuned properly). My brother used to play banjo, and I'd like to learn that as well. Been 35 years since I picked up the violin, so mandolin shouldn't be too hard.
  3. HonketyHank
    HonketyHank
    I am liking the GDAE tuning a lot more than I expected. I thought it would be a hindrance given my banjo-centric view of the world. Scales are a lot easier on the mandolin. And it is a lot easier to play the same stuff in different keys.
  4. WhimsyGal
    WhimsyGal
    Welcome Hank!
  5. Sherry Cadenhead
    Sherry Cadenhead
    You know not much is going on when I'm looking for the oldest thread started by a currently active Newbie! Henry, you win the prize. Glad you stuck with it.
  6. Stacey Morris
    Stacey Morris
    Before my time, Sherry!
  7. Louise NM
    Louise NM
    Six years and four days ago! Happy late sixth anniversary, Henry. Found this on Google:

These are the traditional gifts associated with the sixth anniversary:
    Traditional Gift: Candy (for sweetness) or iron (for strength)
    Contemporary/Modern Gift: Wood, which signifies a long-lasting and solid marriage.
    Gemstone: Amethyst or turquoise.
    Color: Purple, turquoise, or white.
    Flower: Calla Lily.

I think I see a wooden mandolin in your future, with the wood dyed purple or turquoise, with a calla lily inlay on the headstock. Steel strings, of course.
  8. HonketyHank
    HonketyHank
    Hmmm. I knew I was not a new newbie, but I didn't think I was that old. Maybe someday I'll graduate to the oldies.
  9. NDO
    NDO
    Lol
    Hank, I really appreciate the contributions “seasoned” newbies can offer us “new” newbies. I’m always humbled by what I don’t know that I don’t know, and very much appreciate the help you offer to those of us that are truly new to the game. As someone who is new to stringed instruments at a relatively late age, having someone to mentor me along the way is priceless. Thank you for your help in so many ways!
  10. Sue Rieter
    Sue Rieter
    Henry, I'm guessing your world is no longer so banjo-centric
  11. HonketyHank
    HonketyHank
    Yeah. I still have the Vega Little Wonder mandolin-banjo and I do play it every now and then to annoy the cats. Sold my real banjo a couple of years ago for more than I paid for it - but I bought it over 50 years ago and hauled it around on countless moves so it really wasn't a profitable exercise. I did enjoy being the only guy with a banjo back when everybody was strumming guitars and trying to be Peter, Paul, or Mary.
  12. Mark Gunter
    Mark Gunter
    Wow! Good work Sherry! Congratulations Henry on your latest anniversary. I followed Henry in October of that year & didn’t even properly introduce myself, just started posting about right hand technique.

Guess I should remedy that

Ahem.

Hello, I’m Mark, and I’m a mandoholic.