Hi, everybody

1. TMitchell
    TMitchell
    I just joined this group, though I've been hanging out on the Cafe for a couple of years. I've listened and loved all kinds of music my whole life but never had the nerve or patience to pick up an instrument and play until about five years ago. I play recorder and whistle (a little) and I'm struggling with fingerpicking guitar but my real love is the mandolin. I play at the local jam here in Urbana a couple of times a month and the folks there have been extremely generous with their time and their advice. I'm coming along, slowly. I play an Eastman oval hole and a flat-top octave I built myself, mostly bluegrass and fiddle tunes, and I'm pushing myself through the Bach cello suites to keep myself limber.

I'd love to hear from anyone local about your own mandolin explorations, and maybe look for opportunities to play together, if you're game.
  2. Joe Nobiling
    Joe Nobiling
    Greetings and welcome, TMitchell! Since you've been hanging out on the Cafe for a couple of years you probably know about the Song-of-the-Week Social Group. It's a very friendly group that provides an opportunity to learn and practice a different tune a week. There's a wide variety of players at all levels. There's more lurkers who may be practicing on their when the tune strikes them. It's a challenge to work on and learn a tune a week, videotape or webcam it and post to the group but well worth it. If you haven't, you should give it a try. It's another opportunity to get better. Most are open to answering questions or offering advice in a personal message format or there are also some posts that are related to specific aspects of playing that are full of a lot of good advice, links, ideas, etc.

There's also the folks here who'd be willing to post to any subject you'd like to discuss.

Lookin' forward to hearin' more from you! Joe