Iowa State Fair Mando Contest

1. David M.
    David M.
    The Fiddlers and Mandolin contests are at the Fairgrounds in Des Moines on Aug. 15th. Anyone planning to attend? I have entered the past few years in both. Still trying to decide if I am this year. It's fun w/some good jamming outside the barn. I've made some good friends there.

We'll probably head over there for it.

See yall.
  2. David M.
    David M.
    Well, I made up my mind and am NOT going to Des Moines to the State Fair this year. I have 2 gigs that weekend and our family's got a lot going on. So, I hate to miss it and see some of the friends I have made over the past few years. Next year...

If someone goes, please post how it was, who you saw, who played well and won, etc.

See yall.
  3. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    I usually go to the State Fair, since I've been living here in Iowa.... (it's required, isn't it?), but have never attended the fiddle or mando competition! But, I am going to be gone August 15, so I won't get to go! Bummer!
  4. des mando
    des mando
    anyone know the aproximate time of the mando part ?
  5. David M.
    David M.
    If it's like past years, sign up is from 9:00 to noon. Contest starts at 1:00. The Fiddlers Contest is going on in the a.m. and through the afternoon until about 2:00 if they have alot of contestants. I think I've even played in the a.m. for the mando contest one year.

here's a link to the RULES. Read them if you're going to do it.
    http://www.iowastatefair.org/enterta...r-mandolin.pdf

Good luck. Please keep us posted here if anyone participates. I hate to miss playing in these contests this year.
  6. David M.
    David M.
    Anybody know the results of the state fair mandolin/fiddle/guitar/banjo contests that were held this past weekend? The state fair website is slow in posting.

Thanks!
  7. David M.
    David M.
    OK. It's up on the website now:
    http://www.iowastatefair.com/competi...ail.php?id=609

Congrats to Mr. Buckingham on guitar and mando!

"Senior Musician Dominates State Fair Stringed Instrument Competitions

John Buckingham, 82, of Des Moines won first place in both the Guitar and Mandolin competitions judged Saturday at the 2009 Iowa State Fair.

Buckingham bested competition from as far away as Ontario, Canada to claim both blue ribbons.

Josiah Janecek, 17, of Des Moines won first place in the Banjo contest.

Complete results below:

Banjo
    1) Josiah Janecek, Des Moines
    2) Dan Schott, Tipton
    3) Merle Hall, Granger

Guitar
    1) John Buckingham, Des Moines
    2) Tom Richards, Nevada
    3) Casey Weldon, Des Moines

Mandolin
    1) John Buckingham, Des Moines
    2) Gerry Gregory, Kingston, Ont.
    3) Anna Erickson, Clive..."
  8. Joe Nobiling
    Joe Nobiling
    Don't they have a fiddle contest?

That's pretty amazing that an 82 year old won one let alone two competitions!

Maybe there's hope for us up and coming oldsters, yet!
  9. jessboo
    jessboo
    john is a pretty amazing. he's not a bad fiddle player either.
  10. Josiah
    Josiah
    He got second in the 50+ fiddle contest!
  11. David M.
    David M.
    Mr. Buckingham is a GREAT musician and a real gentleman. He's very well known and well liked in the Des Moines area and all over, really. It's always an honor to play with against him in these contests.
  12. Josiah
    Josiah
    I wish I could have seen the mandolin and guitar contests but I was there on Friday to play in the banjo contest. Next year I think I'm going to play in the mandolin contest...