Week #366 ~ The Stronsay Waltz

1. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    This week's winner, by overwhelming majority, is The Stronsay Waltz, which was submitted as a Scottish Waltz. I'm not familiar with it.

Here is a link to the tune on thesession.org

2. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    Here is my recording of this beautiful waltz as an "other tune":

This arrangement, including tempo marking, is from the repertoire of Ceilidh Caleerie/Scots Music Group and is intended for dancing Irish waltzes.

1921 Gibson Ajr mandolin
    Mid-Missouri M-111 octave mandolin/bouzouki
    Ozark tenor guitar

Martin
  3. Bob Michel
    Bob Michel
    Nicely done, Martin. Lovely images, too.

Here's what I put together yesterday:

Bob Michel
    Near Philly
  4. Bob Michel
    Bob Michel
    Thanks, David. I have to return the compliment with interest: the cittern sounds amazing when it's played with such a light and lively touch. I enjoy the rhythmic contrast between our versions, too; yours has plenty of swing, but also a kind of decorousness (for want of a better word) that fits the tune extremely well. Having listened to both of them twice just now, I really can't say which of the two I'd rather dance to, only that I probably wouldn't be wearing quite the same clothes!
  5. Hendrik Luurtsema
    Hendrik Luurtsema
    Bob, your version is excellent. I especially love the part with that great whistlesound. When is your cd coming out? David, up to your standards you also recorded a very good version of this tune. It sounds a bit medieval with the drone and the bells.. Martin, you also added a nice full arrangement version from your archive. How much tunes did you record for youtube since you started?
  6. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    Thanks, Hendrik! A mere 1300 tunes recorded in six years since I started in 2010...

Martin
  7. maudlin mandolin
    maudlin mandolin

Lovely versions from Bob and David. Here it is with some arpeggio backing.
  8. Jess L.
    Jess L.
    I like all of the above versions.

Martin wrote: "... 1300 tunes recorded in six years..."

Martin, keep 'em coming! you bring to light a lot of great tunes that I wouldn't have known about otherwise. In fact, one of my current favorite tunes (Down By The Brazos) is one that you brought to our attention here somewhere on this site. So, I wanted to thank you for all your hard work in scoping out some of these tunes so other people can hear what the tunes sound like.
  9. woodenfingers
    woodenfingers
    Bob, as has been said, a great version. Very well integrated, smooth, with a nice arrangement of instruments. David, another great version from you. That bowed bass always gets my vote and the tambourine does fill out the tune nicely. Martin, your version some time back got me going on this tune and we played it in our trio which has unfortunately dissolved with our guitarist moving away and our fiddler having ear issues.

I gave it a go trying to use the fiddle as the primary driver. I don't know how people learn how to play that thing and survive. Either a family member will do them in or they will drink themselves to death. Maybe that's why there's so much drinking in Irish pubs when the fiddlers get going... I triple tracked the fiddle, trying to average out all of the off-pitch notes. It worked to some extent but I'm not happy with my playing. It's the devil's instrument for sure. Missed timing and clipped audio also annoying but I got fed up with it so get yourself your favourite alcoholic beverage and then listen to it if you desire:

10. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    Bob you had me expecting some really bad fiddle but that was really pretty good especially if you compare it to my fiddle playing. I can bow a bass pretty well but the fiddle eludes me and it also hurts me to play. I also liked the minor chords in the B part, I wish I had heard your version before I recorded mine, I would have stolen that.
  11. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Great versions all.
    Bob's triple fiddle tracks add the extra charm of suggesting a Strathspey & Reel Society experience - can it get more Scottish? Well yes: by picking up Highland Pipes
  12. woodenfingers
    woodenfingers
    David, you make an important point, as Einstein would say, "It's all relative". Relative to where I want to be on the fiddle it is pretty bad at times. Relative to where I started it's not too bad. It just gets so frustrating at times I want to throw it in the wood stove. But the mandolin can do that to me too at times. I'm surprised the fiddle eluded you. Your bowing and intonation on the bass is spot on and I would think the bass would be harder for intonation since you have to move your hand way up and down the neck. On the fiddle if you stick in first position it should be easier... BTW: the minor chord pattern wasn't mine, it comes from the sheet music that Martin referenced and the octave and mando parts are from that score as well.

Bertram, I also found the triple tracking amusing along the lines you suggest. It took a while though to get three runs that didn't have too major of a mistake in each run... I almost took up the pipes a few years ago. There's a local pipe band that is willing to teach but I decided that I already had too many instruments to try to come to terms with so decided against it. Besides, where does one go to practice bagpipes? I'm in a fairly rural area but still, here in America, it seems that the neighbors all own guns.
  13. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    it seems that the neighbors all own guns

Maybe that's why English artillery fired at Prince Charles Edward Stuart's clansmen near Culloden House in 1746 - they couldn't stand the music they ran away from at Prestonpans the previous year?
  14. dustyamps
    dustyamps
    My 3 favorite picks sampler, in random order, a Blue Chip TP40, a Gilchrist ivoroid and a Wegen. I modified the bevels and grips on all these so despite the price difference, I can make them all sound about the same.
  15. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Great versions of the tune from all who posted. I had a version ready when the result was announced, and then held back and thought I'd try a new set, using the Shetland waltz Scalloway Voe before the Orcadian Stronsay Waltz. First tune in key of G, then up to A for Stronsay Waltz. Three tracks used on the recording: mandolin lead, mandolin chords and guitar.

16. crisscross
    crisscross
    After a short Old-Time interlude, I'm back at my favorite pastime of the last few months.
    BTW: Nice versions Gentlemen, I especially like John's little medley, but the others are also fine!
  17. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Nice to hear this one revived, Christian. I love your Stronsay Beast illustrations too!
  18. crisscross
    crisscross
    Thanks, John! Today, my new Oval Hole mandolin complained, that I had played this nice waltz on two bowlback mandolins.
    So I re-recorded it using my A-oval hole. The backing track is the same...