Harlaw 1411 -

1. catmandu2
    catmandu2
    For a few years - since hearing Bonnie Rideout's compilation 'Harlaw 1411,' I've had the inspiration to play some of the tunes on double bass (what I do most of my fiddling on). I've been immersed in Irish harp the past few years and haven't been fiddling much. I've recently moved and my harps are in mothballs, so I've had opportunity to switch courses again.

My understanding is that there is some history of bass/viol in Scottish traditional music. My scholarship here is lacking and would find any contribution here edifying. I find the double bass highly evocative for the pipe laments, pibrochs, marches..
  2. catmandu2
    catmandu2
    Ha seeing this years later.. I've had good opportunity to indulge in this, hitherto, moving to cello as my living space was reduced. I think I got into scand since, and oh ya and the other stuff yada.. Yes viol were deployed in the northern parts, as part of the baroque flush and all.. I've essentially converted my Scots fiddle repertoire, pipe tunes, marches, air and some other stuff..