Week # 381 ~ Jump at the Sun

1. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    This week's winner is Jump at the Sun, which was submitted as a jig. I'm not familiar with this tune, which is also known as The Acidic Fairies, Dancing At The Sun, Fairies On Acid, Jump At Sun, The South Of France, The Spy! This tune was written by John Kirkpatrick.

Here is a link to fifteen settings of the tune on thesession.org. Be sure to read the comments, too, as there are other suggestions on how to play it!

This is a video of the composer himself playing this tune, the last in a medley.

2. James Rankine
    James Rankine
    It's a great tune. Here is my take on a Paul Hathway Octave tuned ADAD.
    My camera had a mind of its own on this one.

Hope you can see it - I'm having problems viewing embedded videos at the moment.
    If not here is the link.

3. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Great performance, James. I like the return to monochrome film too!
  4. Jess L.
    Jess L.
    James wrote: "Hope you can see it - I'm having problems viewing embedded videos at the moment. If not here is the link."

I can't see any of the videos either, on this page *and* many other MandolinCafe pages recently, they're just black boxes with nothing to click to make them play. Thanks for providing the actual YouTube URL link, it's literally the *only* performance here that's accessible. And a fabulous performance too James, super nice!

JourneyBear has started a thread about the video problem at Forum Software Support.
  5. maudlin mandolin
    maudlin mandolin
    This tune has a thread as another tune from 2011. Here is my version from then (not embedded because of the video problem which seems to be affecting all except widescreen videos)https://youtu.be/1TnHyR-SFhI
  6. Bob Michel
    Bob Michel
    I decided to play it in what I believe is its original key of Gm, and went looking at thesession.org for another suitable Gm tune to pair with it. The one I came up with is "The Princess," from the 11th (1701) edition of the Playford collection. I really like the way they go together.

Played on my Sobell with guitar backup:

Bob Michel
    Near Philly
  7. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    I've finally got around to recording this great jig -- I've been very fond of John Kirkpatrick ever since his involvement in the seminal "Morris On" album and his work with Richard Thompson and Brass Monkey.

This three-part harmony arrangement for contra dance band is by Evelyn Tiffany-Castiglioni. I have adapted Evelyn's setting to a mandolin quartet (two mandolins and two tenor guitars).

1921 Gibson Ajr mandolin
    Mid-Missouri M-0W mandolin
    Vintage Viaten tenor guitar (x2)

Martin
  8. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    Bob's set with The Princess is just stunning! I'll sleep well with those melodies in my head.
  9. llamela
    llamela
    Finally, one I recorded some years ago, before the days of go-cams. I actually stuck the camera to me head with tape.

10. Mike Floorstand
    Mike Floorstand
    Just over a year late but there weren't many tunes submitted at the time so I thought I'd try to rectify that. Particularly enjoyed Martin's orchestration, and was interesting to note other variations - seems to be a tune that no two people play the same!

I think of this a Morris dancing tune and it's well known in English sessions, but it seems to be one of those marmite tunes that people either love or hate. I love it.

The tune is composed by John Kirkpatrick, I think he still doing the UK folk club circuit and I'd strongly recommend you go and see him if you can, he is highly entertaining.
  11. James Rankine
    James Rankine
    Lovely rhythm Mike. The A part brings to mind the theme tune for a childrens tv cartoon programme from my youth. The name escapes me - one of these cartoons that had a shimmering movement effect.
  12. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    What a trip!!!

-can anyone with good headphones tell if the quality is ok on this? The copy on the phone I have seems ok but when uploaded it’s full of distortion…
  13. Sherry Cadenhead
    Sherry Cadenhead
    That is one wild looking picture! Nice playing, though.
  14. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Thanks Sherry, yes, without care the mind can be a savage and inhospitable place.
  15. Frankdolin
    Frankdolin
    Sounds great and the sound is fine Simon! Though I am having a wee flashbaaa...
  16. Simon DS
    Simon DS

-I’ll probably add a groovy bass line and more crazy images to this one, just as a warning!
  17. gortnamona
    gortnamona
    class Simon, hints of Adams Family in there
  18. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Just listened on my headphones and it sounds fine, Simon. Well played too! It is one of those tunes that gets into the listener's head very quickly.
  19. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    ...‘those tunes that gets into the listener's head very quickly’.

-ok, maybe too quickly :/ I’ll get different artwork, it was quite intense.