opening up:

1. 300win
    300win
    I know alot of people on the cafe would probably scoff at this. But being as I think at least, first member to get a Jam-Master, and having one longer than any of the rest of us. Just wanted to share this with you other fellows. I've been playing mine daily on a regular basis since getting it a few weeks ago. Usualy picking it around 2 hours per day average, not counting the many jams I've picked at since getting it. Auditioned last night with an acoustic rock band, I guess from what I was told I'm in. But to get to the point. My JM has really came alive in the short time I've had it. Something even I would have thought impossible being as how it sounded so good from day one. But it has "opened up" in a big way, louder, more woody tone, crisp highs and mellow sounding mids. I can't get over the fact that I was lucky enough to get this instrument. After a few weeks I'd like to hear the rest of ya'll's comments on your JM. Just thought I would share this with ya'll.
  2. stewartd
    stewartd
    I believe you. Received my A-model on July 8 and finally today I had the opportunity to jam with friends and compare it other mandos, specifically a 1995 Weber-signed Flatiron Festival and a 2-3 yr old Collings MT-2. The JM had noticeably more depth on all registers than the Flatiron. And in a surprise to me, it actually more than held its own with the MT-2 (which also had a custom wide-neck). To my ears, the JM actually had just as good of a chop and better mid-range than the Collings. The Collings was really outstanding on the upper registers, though--maybe because of the red spruce top. After one chop, even the Collings owner claimed that the JM was going to be "sick" when it opens. Apparently, "sick" is the new term for awesome/excellent/(insert your own adjective here). Very pleased.

Dan
  3. Bluegrassrules
    Bluegrassrules
    I am not so sure that mine is opening up as much as I am learning how to play "this" mandolin, "this tone". It sounds so much better then my Eastman that my approach to playing is different which may be contributing to what I consider to be a richer tone then three weeks ago when I got it…or it could be that I am playing it at least an hour a day, two on some and perhaps it “is opening up a bit”, if that is true think how nice they will sound in ten years. I had mine yesterday for the first time at a Jam and it held up very well to the banjo, I was the only mandolin so I could not compare to any other.
    Cheers Brian
  4. Greg Wilson
    Greg Wilson
    Yeah my Jam Master is so much nicer than my previous Kentucky Mandolin that I can now hear all the little mistakes I was making all along. It has improved my technique. I do think learning how to play this particular instrument improves its tone. That said I could hear mine starting to open up after a couple weeks of constant playing.