The Keel Row

1. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    This is a traditional tune and song from Newcastle-upon-Tyne, with its own Wikipedia page:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Keel_Row

This arrangement is by Evelyn Tiffany-Castiglioni from "Evelyn's Big Book for Mandolins for the Year 2015", available from Amazon (NFI).

I have played Evelyn's arrangement as a mandolin quartet of two mandolins, tenor guitar and mandocello.

1921 Gibson Ajr mandolin
    1890s Umberto Ceccherini mandolin
    Vintage Viaten tenor guitar
    Suzuki MC-815 mandocello

Martin
  2. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Very enjoyable collaboration on this tune between me and Frithjof (Mountain Man)
    Thanks Frithjof.
    We exchanged audio files and vids on GoogleDrive after recording and accomplishing similar outdoor physical feats, though I think Frithjof climbed quite a bit higher!

3. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    This was great fun. Thanks, Simon, for inviting me to a collaboration and doing most of the production.

Martin, I just now listened to your recording. Very nice mandolin quartet!
  4. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Hats off to the three of you
    This is a lovely brisk little tune, and I could march along with that.
  5. Christian DP
    Christian DP
    Thanks for introducing this tune as a nice mandolin quartett, Martin and congatulations for the successful collaboration, Simon and Frithjof!
  6. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Great combined video there, gents. Beautifully synchronised throughout.
  7. Jess L.
    Jess L.
    Good collaboration there, Frithjof and Simon! Also I like Martin's version, which I somehow missed when it was first posted. Fine versions all!
  8. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    Martin is so prolific that it sometimes seems to happen that one of his many postings gets lost among all the other activity of this group! Luckily Simon is an expert user of the search function and has resurrected the thread!

I like both recordings a lot. The arrangement and timing in Martin's video are perfect, and it was both interesting and pleasant to hear the Gibson and the bowlback together. And the second video ticks all my boxes: a new collaboration, a good tune, nice melodic and rhythmic playing, and pictures of the natural environment. A real pleasure!
  9. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Thanks all for the nice comments.
  10. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    Great video and sound, Frithjof and Simon.

And thanks for those nice comments on my old video. I had completely forgotten the tune and the recording -- don't think I've played it since then, but might have another look now.

Martin
  11. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Thread resurrected yet again, Dennis!
    Many thanks everyone for the kind comments on our outdoor collaboration.
    Apparently great skiing conditions up North at the moment, now that would be fun.
    Here in the South of France it’s sunny and 15C which is about 59F …but it’s very hot. 22-22C in the sun.
    So I may go out and do some recordings…
    Tomorrow or the day after it will be summer and too hot to go out during the day.