Man Of Aran

1. Eddie Sheehy
    Still learning this one but I need to put down a marker...

2. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Here's the ABC from www.thesession.org

X: 1
    T: Man Of Aran
    M: 4/4
    L: 1/8
    R: reel
    K: Bmin
    |:FBfe dB (3BBB|Aced cA A2|FBfe dB B2|FB B2 cB B2|
    FBfe dB B2|ce e2 ce e2| f3e dB B2|cedc dB B2:|
    |:df f2 df f2|ce e2 ce e2|df f2 df f2|c2ec dB B2|
    dfaf dfaf|cege cege|dfeg fB B2| f3e fedc:|
  3. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Ok, here's mine. Since Eddie said these were tunes that were supposed to be at a Zoukfest course, on the use of triplets, I am playing this slowly (well, from the notation as well, so no other way BUT slow for me right now!)... however, in playing it slowly, you can see (hopefully) what this tune was supposed to teach you about triplets!

It's a tune in 4/4 time, so the picking pattern for the eighth notes is DUDU. However, when you substitute a triplet (DUD) for a quarter note (D), your pattern ends up like this ( the DU's between the / are the measures of the tune)

DUDU DU DUD / DUDU DU DUD / DUDU DU DUD / DU DUD DU DUD /
    DUDU DU DUD / DU DUD DU DUD / D U DU DUD / DUDU DU DUD /
    DU DUD DU DUD / DU DUD DU DUD / DU DUD DU DUD / DUD DU DU DUD /
    DUDU DUDU / DUDU DUDU / DUDU DU DUD / D U DUDU / tremolo ending

This is difficult for some to get the hang of, especially if you are ingrained with alternate picking. Your 'habit' of alternate picking makes you want to have the next note after a DUD triplet to be an upstroke, since you ended your triplet on a downstroke. But, from what I've studied about triplets, and pick direction... I'm pretty sure how I'm doing it is what the 'instructors' I've checked out, are saying to do.. (but I could be wrong! Wouldn't be the first time! haha!)

4. Eddie Sheehy
    Barb, these tunes were part of the TB class. Roger played them for us on his TB and they sounded great... unfortunately I don't have a TB...(hint, hint)...
  5. Eddie Sheehy
    Sounds so much nicer when you played it...
  6. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    I'll do another on my TB shortly.... if we learned anything from the Swallowtail Jig discussion, it's that I don't mind submitting many many videos!
  7. Eddie Sheehy
    I tried searching for a rendition of it online to get an idea of the speed it's normally played... and all I found was this brilliant, but discouraging, version... I'll definitely be doing it "hornpipey"...

http://www.mp3.com.au/track.asp?ID=45363
  8. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Eddie... as to the discussion on another discussion about bpm these tunes are 4/4, which the bpm rightfully would be the quarter note (four beats per measure).... my calculations within those parameters makes that version at about 252 bpm..... yeah, I'd say out of MY league.... and you notice its a whistle or flute doing the melody, which I know it's easier to play faster... right?
  9. Eddie Sheehy
    I can't play it that fast on a whistle...
  10. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    This site has a midi file of Man of Aran, it's being played at 120 bpm (4/4 time)
  11. Eddie Sheehy
    That's a much better speed for learning the tune, but I think 160 bpm is the speed to aim for... especially if you listen to Wind That Shakes the Barley and Star of Munster in the same list you'll get a feel for the slower tempo of these tunes. That being said, playing it with a "hornpipe" lilt suits 120 bpm nicely.
  12. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    You know, I got to thinking. If people are playing with singers, they play the key the singer wants. You play tunes in whichever key you want, 'cause you usually play alone. If you are playing for dancers, then you play the tempo the dancers are needing / wanting / expecting. However, if we are playing these tunes for our own enjoyment, or even for people who are merely listening (not dancing), then the tempo should be whatever we want it to be.... the most important part about tempo is the STEADINESS! In my opinion, that is!
  13. Eddie Sheehy
    I'm with you. I've never played for dancers and probably never will, it's all about enjoyment.
  14. mikeyes
    mikeyes
    Here is my version of "Man of Aran", written by Darach de Brun incidentally. I've met him a few times at the Milwaukee Irishfest and he is a very nice guy. A bookbinder by trade but he is constantly composing tunes.

This is a banjo version and I have taken a few liberties with the melody.

15. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Mike, that was great on your TB.... Still needing to record it on my TB!
  16. Ptarmi
    Ptarmi
    This is a cracking Mandolin tune.

17. Ptarmi
    Ptarmi
    I'd just like to point out that, like Mike, I too met up with Darach, at Willie Week in Miltown, back in the 70s & learned this tune & his tune The Maple Leaf from himself.
    Myself & a friend spent a bit of time with him that week, in fact he even gave me a lift back to Dublin, so I must agree with you Mike, he is a friendly bloke alright.

As for the debate above on speed, I'd agree that it's pretty much a case of Horses for Courses, so I'd say it's fine to play a tune at whatever speed you are comfortable with. Especially, when we're sitting on our own, at home, surely we can play it at whatever speed we like.

Naturally, when you are only learning a tune, you are going to be playing it slow & steady anyway.

Of course, if you find yourself playing that melody for someone to sing to, it is essential that the musician follows the Singer ..... NOT the other way round. Especially in the case of Traditional Songs, we have to allow the singer to express the song in their own way.

When we are playing for dancers, especially Set Dancers, I find that it is important to have Scotty & his Warp Factors on your side, cause those guys will just want you to play faster & faster!

In concert, it's fine too for folks to fly along at 150 miles an hour on some tunes, after all they are there to entertain & speed impresses.
    Folks often complain that so & so plays too fast, but in my book it's OK if you can play at speed & keep control & add all the little secret ingredients that make our music traditional.
    What I don't like to hear, is musicians playing faster than they are able to, cause then they can usually only play the skeleton of the tune, the bare melody, just the dots on the page & as we all know, that's NOT the tune, that's just a guide.

In a Session though, I prefer it when the speeds & rhythms are varied throughout the proceedings, so the only rule that makes any sense to me there is, follow the speed of whoever starts the tune. OK so you've been playing a tune for a zillion years & can fly with it, but if some guy is just getting started on it & can only play slowly, go with him & help him along, keeping it steady as a rock for him. There's lots of stuff you can try, while playing an old tune to you slowly, like variations, octave playing, harmonies if you must, although I'm not keen on those in most Irish & Scottish Trad, but that's another story.

Anyway, I just wanted to add my twopence worth .... yes, we still have Pence over here!

Cheers
    Dick
  18. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Dick, very good advice! I agree with your whole assessment of the speed thing. I actually think it's very good practice, to take a tune you know fast, and play it slowly. It's very hard for some people, to slow down their fast tunes!
  19. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Indeed slowing down can be hard. I think the reason is that processes of different speed levels are computed in different parts of the brain, and shifting a task from one area to another is like learning it over again. There is also the phenomenon of speed perception relativity - many players accused of playing fast are genuinely surprised, because to them it really just sounds normal and relaxed. It's like you share a road with Ferraris and bicycles.
  20. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Nice one Eddie, I like the swing to it.

Well here’s mine, it took me five ticks, two jet aircraft, three motorbikes and a very persistant songbook to play it. This is the most reasonable of the recordings, though it still has knocks and dents in it.

https://youtu.be/zT-e4j51Kdg
  21. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Had to change it, thought the volume was set too low.
  22. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Your playing sounds steady, calm and sedative, Simon.
    Maybe the May sun and warms on the edge of the forest brought this mood to you.
  23. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Ha, ha, thanks Frithjof, I was sedate because I’d just climbed 1300 feet with a backpack full of equipment and the necessary alimentary provisions (water and chocolate). I actually recorded six different tunes of very varying quality.

Strange weather too, the woods were cold and damp from a heavy thunderstorm yesterday, with a cool breeze in the shade, and the sun was very hot.
  24. Christian DP
    Christian DP
    The man with his octave mandolin in the wood, fine playing and recording, Simon.
  25. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    I always enjoy your nature-and-mandola videos, Simon! Let me go to YouTube to leave a Like for this one ...

What's that really nice drone/pad in the background? Or is it just me hearing this?

Coincidentally, I've been learning this tune recently, too. I'll try to do a recording soon.
  26. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Like Dennis, I am hearing a drone. Must be one of them motorbikes (hey, there's a concept hidden somewhere - next time I need a drone, I might ask the neighbor to start his electric lawnmower. Thinking it over...).
    Sedentary and sedative, what adds most to the mood is the hat, tipped down, like Paddy Keenan's.

Oh, and I don't know if Eddie is watching this - haven't heard of him for years.