Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Joe-TN
    Joe-TN
    Bernie,

Great. Thanks for some inspiration!

Joe
  2. Bernie Daniel
    Bernie Daniel
    Joe Thanks - actually I thought your video was a great idea --instead of using a computer I am going to make a guitar video as back like that.
  3. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    Well I listened to a lot of different versions of this tune and I stole bits and pieces from all of them, so this is my "Frankenstein" version of the Kentucky Waltz.

4. Bernie Daniel
    Bernie Daniel
    Well David I don't think Frankenstein conveys the message. Its not the least bit scary -- au contraire -- you have done a nice job to highlighting the sustain on your Sobell mandolin -- using it to make a very pleasent tune -- I can easily see folks waltzing around you as you play. Great job.
  5. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    Thanks Bernie. I do get a bad case of scroll envy when I try to play bluegrass tunes on my Sobell. I feel another MAS attack coming on.
  6. Joe Nobiling
    Joe Nobiling
    Well done, Chris, Joe, Bill, Bernie and Dave!

Bill you got some great vocal chords there. I'll bet you've melted your share of ladies souls and hearts in your time! Now if you show some knee with you're singin', I'd be willin' to bet Barb would be in trouble!
  7. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Hey, Joe, it was Bill's knees that got me started! I can't remember which tune it was, but he recorded the whole thing of just his knees... right, Bill?
  8. billkilpatrick
    yep' - a shameful episode of youthful folly ... or senility.
  9. Bernie Daniel
    Bernie Daniel
    It is amazing we are so risque as to be talking about showing knees on the worldwide web -- I get nervous we you talk about elbows......
  10. Joe Nobiling
    Joe Nobiling
    That's what I thought, Barb. So, because inquiring minds want to know, if he showed his knees, sang, and played at the same time, would you remember anything?
  11. jamann
    jamann
    Here's a couple of versions of Kentucky Waltz in the key of A. The first one is a simple straight forward version I came up with a couple years ago. I get together with some friends a couple times a year and this is the version I play with them. The second version is a dragged out attempt with doublestops. I'm not very good at improvising or figuring out tunes on my own and one of my lessons a couple months ago was to take my simple version and come up with a version using doublestops. This is basically what I came with. Rough at best but it has helped.

Simple Version

Doublestop Version
  12. Bernie Daniel
    Bernie Daniel
    Very nice jamann! - -I just saw your videos over on the YouTube main channel and thought you might be doing it for here! Nice job on both versions!
  13. jamann
    jamann
    Thanks Bernie! I like your two versions also especially your so called "rusty" version. I've always liked your style of playing. I need to pick up on some of that.

My compliments to all the submissions so far. All very nicely done! Keep 'em coming!

Bill, I always look forward to seeing your videos and your take on Kentucky Waltz is very cool indeed. Your very talented!
  14. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Joe, If Bill sang, played his mando (or any instrument) and sang.... no, I'd only remember that it was great!
  15. billkilpatrick
    basta with the knees-ist comments! if it keeps up i'm gonna' squeal ...

jamman - waaay nice! - double stop version in particular. i don't know what you or the others think about this music but for me the point is to make it simple AND! comprehensive at the same time. while i respect the skill required to produce a flurry of notes, played accurately, i prefer to stay close to the melody with only a few, well chosen embellishments to open it up. selecting the right ones and keeping them to a minimum ain't easy ...

just my opinion, btw.
  16. Bernie Daniel
    Bernie Daniel
    Speaking of singing the Kentucky Waltz ...
  17. KyleBerry
    KyleBerry
    Here is my try.

18. Bernie Daniel
    Bernie Daniel
    Really nice job Kyle -- nice noting and really clean! Just great.
  19. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    I've really enjoyed everyone's great submissions, and am still working on getting this tune down. I have an observation about this tune, especially if learning it from scratch (like I am) and using the TAB that includes the double stops and tremolos, and trying to get the rhythm right. I was having a hard time getting it to sound right when trying to start out as it is TABbed out. So, I then took the tune down to the bare basic melody of 3 quarter notes (all down) per measure, or some eighth notes (DU).... working to get the pulse of the waltz good and strong. To me, the strong (1 2 3, 1 2 3) pulse is MOST important in a waltz. Then, instead of going right to the tremolo's, I worked through it with eighth notes (DU)... then started adding the double stops, and THEN once I had that pretty solid, incorporated those tremolos.

For me, it's pick direction that helps keep me in tempo, and most times, when I just can't get the right sound in a tune, it's because I'm not being careful about my pick direction! I know many of ya'll (and my own fellow bandmates) aren't as anal as I am about pick direction, and I'm certainly not the expert, and don't want to be the 'hall monitor' (don't let Barbara see you picking that the wrong direction! ).... this is just how I do it!
  20. Eddie Sheehy
    Bravissimo Bill!
  21. Eddie Sheehy
    That double-stop version is cool Jamann...
  22. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Sorry I obscured my left hand with the mic on this - still, you're not missing much:

23. Bernie Daniel
    Bernie Daniel
    Fabulous OS! - love that jazzy section -- I think Old Bill might just have liked that too. That is some great system you have for back up there.
  24. KyleBerry
    KyleBerry
    OS that was awesome!! I love it!!
  25. Joe Nobiling
    Joe Nobiling
    Barb,

I think you're correct to be 'anal' about pick direction. It can become a built-in metronome, as such. You have the right attitude in your approach to learning a tune, as well, especially because it works for you, and it gets to the essence of the tune from which you can build the rest of the parts upon. You establish a strong foundation. Hard to beat that.

OS,

That second time was so blues-alicious, I posted it to the Blues Social Group site!

Joe
  26. Mike Romkey
    Mike Romkey
    The root tune. Supposedly the Roland White version, but I'm dubious.

27. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Thanks Joe, and thanks for reminding me about the blues group, I must go and see what they're up to.

I like that version, Mike. Sounds like something Roland White might play, though I'm no expert. And played with attitude
  28. SweetTea
    SweetTea

Well here is a simple slow version of Tennessee Waltz. Sorry for the missed notes but I am a little rusty at this video playing stuff. Doesn't matter, it was still fun. This tune I compiled from a couple of tabs so I could play it. Can't pass up trying to learn a tune about the state where I was raised. Really enjoyed listening to all you great players who played this tune. Can't wait to here a few more.
  29. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Thanks, Sweet Tea! Hadn't heard from you in a while! We are KENTUCKY waltzing, but, I love a good waltz... so hearing the TENNESSEE waltz with my morning cup o' joe was very nice!
  30. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Ok, here's my rendition! I still haven't mastered sounding bluegrassy.... luckily, waltzes (in my opinion) should be slowish.... so I'm ok there!

31. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Yay Barbara - I think that's my favorite video of yours ever!
  32. Mike Romkey
    Mike Romkey
    Sounds pretty blue grassy to me, Barb. You're sounding good, girl.
  33. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Aw, shucks, guys, thanks!
  34. ESinCO
    ESinCO
    This is the coolest chat page ever. You all are GREAT!!!!
  35. Ken_P
    Ken_P
    Barbara - beautiful! I agree with Sausage, best you've done yet!
  36. tuffblue
    tuffblue
    Hey Barbara, that has some soul, I love it. FAB!!!!
  37. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    I agree with Sausage & Ken, that was really lovely Barbara, your best so far.
  38. Eddie Sheehy
    You Rock, Girl!
  39. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Aw Shucks, guys, you're making me blush!
  40. Bernie Daniel
    Bernie Daniel
    Mike, SweetTea, Barbara -- Nice picking, I enjoyed all of them. This has turned out to be a great song lots of "learning moments" with it!
  41. Don Grieser
    Don Grieser
    Y'all play and sing this mighty fine. Barbara, you're an especially tough act to follow, but somebody's got to do it.

Butch Baldassari always said to play slow tunes and waltzes with all downstrokes and tremolo, so that's what I think I did here. It's hard to go wrong with just the simple melody on this one.

42. Joe Nobiling
    Joe Nobiling
    Well stated and nicely played, Don.
  43. billkilpatrick
    both those were fabulous. playing slow and sticking to the melody, i more-or-less got already but adding extra tremolo is good advise - thanks. i'd always associated the waltz with high times - champagne and vienna - but the OT/BG treatment seems to make it an altogether soulful, poignant affair.
  44. Bernie Daniel
    Bernie Daniel
    Very nicely played Don -- interesting comment about downstrokes and tremolo on waltzes -- had not heard that one but it makes sense.
  45. Eddie Sheehy
    Here's my one-shot crack at it. Definitely a keeper tune. I'll polish it up later...

Played on a K&S Mandola - CGDA
  46. billkilpatrick
    jazzy chords ... great rhythm ... good arrangement - nice full mandola sound - bravo.
  47. Chris Travers
    Chris Travers
    Well, I can FINALLY embed my Vimeo videos! So I thought I'd just re-post my entry here.

Chris
  48. Eddie Sheehy
    Is that the sound of distant thunder towards the end, or have I angered the BG gods?
  49. Bernie Daniel
    Bernie Daniel
    Very cool version Eddie -- I like those chords you put in there. No that was not the BG gods -- in the first place Bill likes jazz and bluesy stuff and second if it was the the BG gods the thunder would be in Bb. So you are safe. How did you come up with that chord sequence trial and error or some programmed modulation of the standard chord structure for the tune? Love that mandola -- my mind has gone numb I guess K&S is what again?
  50. Eddie Sheehy
    Some chords are expiriments in finger position to match a sound I had in my mind - I think an Fm ish to a G to an A7 ish, the others are regular chords with melody fingers sneaking in and out. K&S is George Katechis and Marc Silber. They collaborated in the 90's on guitars and at least one Mandola... It has a Cedar top and Cedar kerfling which gives it an amazing aroma... and it plays nicely too...
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast