The case of the Gator

1. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    As a heads-up to Fylde aficionados:

I recently bought a Gator mandolin case. My gig bag doesn't always offer enough protection, and my Hiscox case can't be strapped to my back for cycling or longer walks.

The Gator is advertised as fitting both A and F styles, but it turns out that the Fylde Touchstone is slightly too wide for it. The Gator web site specifies the internal width as 10 1/2 inches, whilst the Fylde site gives the instrument width as 11 1/8 inches. If my conversion is correct, the difference is around 1.6 cm. To me, it seems slightly less - the case is probably designed to offer some extra space. But it isn't possible to put the mandolin in and close the case without risking damage.

Since the benefits of the case - lightweight construction and shoulder straps - are important to me, I'll try a DIY job of cutting some of the interior lining rather than return the case to the seller. Just be aware of this issue if you want a new case.
  2. Shawn Collins
    Shawn Collins
    That's good to know. The case that came with my Single Malt when I bought it a couple years ago is starting to split at a couple seams. I think it's just cosmetic, but I've put "keep eyes open for a replacement case" on my to-do list.
  3. G7MOF
    G7MOF
    Go to Ebay and look for Fylde T/S case. there is a case that fits perfectly made by Ashbury for around $90.