Newbies are Nice People

1. Sherry Cadenhead
    Sherry Cadenhead
    I've been amazed at all the interest the pick question has generated. I had no clue a pick could make a difference. Decided to Google mandolin picks to see what came up. I ended up in a forum where the discussion is pretty intense. I must say all the Newbies posts I've read are kind and informative. Thanks, all, for not being "that guy" that makes me afraid to post my questions for fear of personal attack.

BTW, I didn't see a Newbies post recommending a $35 Blue Chip pick.
  2. HonketyHank
    HonketyHank
    My one and only BC feels good, plays good, sounds good. $35 good? I don't really think so, but I use the one I have a lot. The primetones, to me, are close to the BC in all regards and, what, 10% or less (?) of the BC price. I have several primetones in case I lose one and several more in rugs or sofa cushions somewhere. I have one BC. The Wegen is slightly better than the primetone (for me), but pretty pricey on my scale. I have two Wegens, and that only because they came packaged as a pair.
  3. bbcee
    bbcee
    @Sherryc, I'm glad you feel comfortable asking questions. Us that have a bit more time on the journey were certainly helped - I know I was - and passing it back is what makes this site such a treasure.

I'm with Hank mostly - I have a BC TAD 60R that is a match made in heaven for one of my mandos. The Primetones on that particular instrument don't sound as good. Having one rounded corner is great too, I switch around a lot. BUT - they're a lot of $$. Certainly worth a try, when you can try one. And YMMV!!

Keep on asking!
  4. Sherry Cadenhead
    Sherry Cadenhead
    Thanks, Bbcee. YMMV?????
  5. HonketyHank
    HonketyHank
    YMMV = Your Mileage May Vary
  6. Sherry Cadenhead
    Sherry Cadenhead
    Lol
  7. Ellsdemon
    Ellsdemon
    I love my BLUE CHIP, worth every penny to me
  8. Cochiti Don
    Cochiti Don
    I bought two BC's A 40 and a 50. Love love
  9. jim1966
    jim1966
    I have to agree with Sherryc these are some of the nicest people. I have many questions and I'm sure some of them will be pretty dumb to some, but since joining this group i feel very comfortable asking anything and know won't get judged. Thank you to all and i hope that i get good enough someday to pay it forward.
  10. Sherry Cadenhead
    Sherry Cadenhead
    Same here, Jim.
  11. MikeZito
    MikeZito
    $35.00 for a pick? I go to Guitar Center and get the ones that the leave out for free.
  12. Swimbob
    Swimbob
    My teacher has a Blue Chip and he let me play with it a little. I liked it quite a lot but I have recently been buying picks from V-Picks (see other thread) and can't seem to put them down.
  13. Tim Gillane
    Tim Gillane
    No idea what kind of pick I have. It's been in the case forever, is imitation tortoiseshell plastic, and says only "Japan" on it. I may get something inexpensive, more rounded, and a tad thicker to see what kind of difference it makes. Then I have to make up my mind between the Horne book ("Complete Mandolin") and the Julin book (Mandolin for Dummies); I noticed that Amazon has some sort of package deal on MFD and "Mandolin Exercises for Dummies". Meanwhile, I'm looking at videos (and scaring myself -- 16th notes! :-) ).
  14. mwillis
    mwillis
    I googled mandolin picks and bluechip came up so I said to myself that name sounds familiar so i looked I was shocked when I saw 35 I called my wife in to show her I then went to Dunlop and ordered a bunch of different ones I ended up spending 40 dollars I got max grip gels and I got Americanas which I read were good I been using heavy 1.35 to 1.5mm maybe 1 day I will get a bluechip but right now just experimenting BTW I am a newbie
  15. Trav'linmando
    Trav'linmando
    Yes, folks once again we are discussing the correct pick. . The standard answer seems to use what works and sounds good to YOU. Plus what you can get ahold of. This from the guy with PAS. I must have tried most of the picks available. The one blue chip I own is a TD 50. A little bit dark with less volume than I prefer. My oval hole Eastman loves a D'Andrea Pro Plec 1.5 for example.

Mwillis, your on the right track. Try a variety of picks. As time goes on and your skills improve the pick of choice will most likely change. Different mandolins will like different picks also.
  16. Mark Gunter
    Mark Gunter
    "Mwillis, your on the right track. Try a variety of picks. As time goes on and your skills improve the pick of choice will most likely change. Different mandolins will like different picks also."

+1 to this. Ever so often, keep going back through the collection and trying different ones. You may find your preference changing from time to time ... and it's all good.
  17. bbcee
    bbcee
    Tis true! I'm now mostly using combinations that before sounded too dark to my ears - flatwound or monel strings with ProPlec picks - on most of my instruments. But that Blue Chip TAD60R is still the pick for one of my mandolins. And that will probably change again!
  18. Guitfiddle Mike
    Guitfiddle Mike
    Check out this thread if you aren't aware of it.
    https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/s...t=Pick+sampler

Pick sampler 2 is on its way to me right now....