Need to Order Strings

1. Sherry Cadenhead
    Sherry Cadenhead
    I had planned to order strings from JustStrings.com today, but find I'm totally confused. I had emailed the company and received links for several options. I'm still confused, seeing nothing about G, D, A or E, but only gauge. I'll call on Friday but wonder if you guys might have some input. I have no desire to buy anything beyond basic.
  2. HonketyHank
    HonketyHank
    A good, basic, inexpensive, all-purpose string set is the the D'Addario EJ74. This is medium weight. If you are used to lights (or if your mandolin is of light construction), then D'Addario EJ73. These are widely available in shops if you are in a bind or, of course, from JustStrings. If you are looking to branch out for some particular characteristic, then there are lots of choices, mostly at higher prices; just about everybody will have different favorites.

I am mostly playing the EJ74's. I have one set of DAddario flat tops installed that reduce the string noise on the wound strings. I have some kind of extra light strings on the bowlback. And I have several sets of various other varieties that I have been meaning to try out.
  3. Sherry Cadenhead
    Sherry Cadenhead
    Thanks, Henry. I have a .010L from when I ordered some E strings in bulk last time. Do you think the L designates light? I don't know if my instrument is of light construction, but, if by "light" you mean "cheap," then, yes, it is light.
  4. HonketyHank
    HonketyHank
    .010 is pretty standard diameter for an E string in a light set. So I guess the L means light. Most inexpensive archtop mandolins, unless they are antiques, can take mediums or maybe even heavies but lights are easier on the fingers because they need less tension to get up to pitch. The down side of lights is a bit less volume and maybe a 'thinner' tone.

FWIW, EJ74 strings are .011, .015, .026, and .040.
  5. Louise NM
    Louise NM
    Do you know what you have on there now?

You might try a couple different sets. My instrument came with a set of D'Addario lights, so I continued with those. Tried a set of EXP74s (a disaster), replaced those with light Martins, which have been fine. I have a couple sets of the light D'As around, but might look for something else to try just for grins and giggles.

Are you happy with what you have on there?
  6. Stacey Morris
    Stacey Morris
    I have the EJ74's on mine. When I needed to replace the strings, I called the Mandolin Store (I bought my mandolin from them) and talked to one of the guys there. He said most people use the EJ74's and that is what my mandolin originally had. I ordered two sets and am happy with them.
  7. Sherry Cadenhead
    Sherry Cadenhead
    Louise, I don't know what I have, other than the E string I mentioned earlier. When I recently had the vibrating string issue, and the luthier said he would need to shave the frets, I asked him to change the strings while he was at it. I had a set of each, other than an E, that I had had for years. He tossed the packaging, which I see now I should have kept.
  8. Louise NM
    Louise NM
    You play an Eastman, don't you? Although they are handmade, and each is a little different, I would imagine that what works well on one would work on another of the same model. You might be able to find out what is the standard or recommended set for your instrument.

I just looked at one of my set of EJ73s, the D'Addario light, and the gauges are 10, 14, 24, 38. I'm pretty sure the Martins I am putting off changing are the same. If your spare Es were 10s, they were almost certainly from a light set.

And yes, keep a package, maybe with a note on it as to whether you liked or hated them!
  9. Louise NM
    Louise NM
    For what it's worth, I have looked at Just Strings's website to try to compare strings, and I find it difficult to use. Any confusion you are having is probably not you.
  10. Sherry Cadenhead
    Sherry Cadenhead
    My instrument is a beginner $200 Alvarez. (My plan is to treat myself to a quality instrument at the 5 year mark.) Thanks for those gauges. I believe JustStrings assumes you know what gauge should be used where.
  11. Kevin Stueve
    Kevin Stueve
    These are the standards http://www.juststrings.com/dad-j74.html
  12. Sherry Cadenhead
    Sherry Cadenhead
    Kevin do you mean the EJ74s are the standards?
  13. OneChordTrick
    OneChordTrick
    Sherry, I think that they’re a standard in as much as they’re possibly the most commonly used and the gauges are typical for a medium set
  14. HonketyHank
    HonketyHank
    Get the ej74's. Don't look back. They'll be fine.
  15. Sherry Cadenhead
    Sherry Cadenhead
    Thanks to alI - especially for your patience. I'm actually smart in some areas. Anything music related isn't one of them.
  16. mandoweather
    mandoweather
    HonketyHank wrote: The down side of lights is a bit less volume and maybe a 'thinner' tone.

I recently ordered a set of EJ73's for my next string change. Just curious about how they'll differ from the EJ74's. My Eastman is just a little difficult (for me at least) to fret at/near the nut, especially the E string, and I'm wondering if they'll make any difference. Still a couple of weeks away from a needed change.
    -Bill
  17. HonketyHank
    HonketyHank
    I just thought of something here -- we're all Newbies. We'll use what we got and probably not hear much difference among the choices. Our newbieness allows us great latitude in all kinds of choices within mandolindom. True confession: I even used a banjo string once when I broke an E string and had no spare. Worked fine. Shoot, come to think of it, I may still be using it.
  18. Trav'linmando
    Trav'linmando
    Ah yes, the string dilemma. Sherry we all have to go down this road. Sort of similar to what pick should I use. Come to think of it, different types of strings may require a different pick. What fun!!

As Kevin, OneChord and Henry all pointed out, EJ74 is considered to be the de facto standard. If for no other reason, they are readily available from most music stores. Even Guitar Center will usually have them in stock for mandolin.

One trick I use is to put part of the string package inside my case. With the date installed written on the package. With 3 mandolins in my truck, I need not remember which is which. As a side note, I have had nice results with GHS A270 also.
  19. Sherry Cadenhead
    Sherry Cadenhead
    Great story, Henry! Am I the only one who only changes strings every couple of years or so? Do you find that shocking?
  20. Trav'linmando
    Trav'linmando
    Sherry, when I started out with 1 mandolin, I changed strings every 6 weeks. I just looked at my 815 and the EJ74's were installed June 1st. My Pava got restrung November 1st.
  21. Mark Gunter
    Mark Gunter
    Both of my mandolins (Washburn A style and Collings A style) like the EXP74CM strings.

mandoweather - if your mandolin is difficult to fret at fret 1, I'd strongly suggest checking the setup. Your nut slots may not be cut low enough.

You don't have to measure to check this. Just hold down a string at fret one, then fret that same string at fret two while holding it down at fret one. Do this a few times and watch closely how far the string has to move to touch the second fret while the first fret is held down.

Now, release and relax those fingers! When you're ready, go ahead and simply fret that same string at fret one a few times, again watching closely to see how much the string has to move to touch the first fret.

If your string is moving significantly more to touch fret 1 than it does to touch fret 2 while fret 1 is being held down, your nut slots need to be lowered.

Lighter strings may help, and nothing wrong with lighter strings if that's what your mandolin prefers, but having the action low enough for ease of play is even more important, so do check that as well.
  22. Louise NM
    Louise NM
    Sherry, why are you changing them now? (Not being snarky, just curious.) Has the sound deteriorated? Are they coming unwrapped? Tuning problems? Does it just feel like the right thing to do?

I wouldn't say I'm shocked, but I'm surprised you can get any sound out of 'em. After about two months, mine start sounding pretty dead. The current set has been on there almost three months. I haven't changed them yet because A) I'm lazy; B) I've been busy; C) It might be nice to try something new, but what? D) I did restring my viola and the mandola—doesn't that count for something?

It will be interesting to see what you think about your sound when you get the new ones on.
  23. Sherry Cadenhead
    Sherry Cadenhead
    I already have the new ones, Louise. And, I'm not sure I can really tell the difference. The reason I had the luthier change them was he had to remove the strings anyway to shave the frets.
  24. Louise NM
    Louise NM
    Consider yourself really lucky! While mandolin strings are cheap, changing them is a chore. If your instrument doesn't get all cranky about old strings, it's a good thing.
  25. mandoweather
    mandoweather
    Mark: thanks for the great info. I do think my string height at least for my A and E strings are just a tad high at the nut.

Sherry: I know that when my strings need more adjusting (than "normal") to stay in tune, it's time for new strings. I've been playing a lot lately and for me currently that's around 3 months.
  26. Sherry Cadenhead
    Sherry Cadenhead
    Ignorance (of strings needing to be changed) can be bliss.