what style do you play

1. fred d
    fred d
    I've been told that this style of mandolin doesn't fit in with bluegrass???? what style do you all play Blues bluegrass, newgrass, rock. help I love the sound but don't know ware to fit in ( playing in the yard for the dogs and ducks )
  2. fred d
    fred d
    what type of music does one play the National resonator mandolin
  3. chasgrav
    chasgrav
    I'll probably use it for everything but bluegrass, (blues, oldtime, Celtic, jazz, etc....). The only issue with using it for bluegrass is that you don't really get that woody "chunk sound" on the chop chords. It's a bit metallic-sounding. But for lead playing, it would do fine in a bluegrass band or any other kind of group. It's loud, with great, clear bell tone and lots of sustain. It's just not a good rhythm chop box, IMO.
  4. Steve Gregor
    Steve Gregor
    My reso sounds pretty good in church, since the sustain and bright ringing sound really uh... resonote in wide open spaces, and blues licks sound great if you're picking higher up over the fretboard. I have to agree though, bluegrass is pretty frustrating to play on a reso.
  5. Rick C.
    Rick C.
    Irish. Great in sessions, and that's the only reason I own it. At the time I bought it (2006), I called National about the tuners (which I replaced with Grovers) and they thought it was funny someone had bought one to play Irish music with! I've since run into one other player (John in Houston, TX) who does a great job with his in Irish music also. I love it because you can play with a fairly thin pick, using about the same force as you would on a Telecaster-- and be heard just fine amongst all the fiddle, flutes, accordions, and pipes.

Rick
  6. JonZ
    JonZ
    I just took mine to the local bluegrass jam and several people commented on how pretty the tone was. I think if you lay back on the chopping and let it ring through on your breaks, most people will appreciate the sound. You don't have to use "motor boat" picking to be heard, so you can really let your playing sing. Plus, if a dobro is okay, why not a resonator mandolin?
  7. bevb
    bevb
    I'm gonna use mine in the pub to play English folk tunes. Been using a tenor banjo, 'cus acoustic mandolin is always drowned out by massed melodians of fiddles !! Looking forward to hearing what I actually play !!
  8. Ray(T)
    Ray(T)
    Just look out for the "Folk Police" before you start!
  9. bevb
    bevb
    It's here ! Just arrived and great fun. Re sessions I have no regard for the folk police !!
  10. liestman
    liestman
    Irish, English, and contradance stuff. I must be the John in Houston that Rick C is referring to. If not, Rick, I gotta find this other guy!!!

John
  11. Shelagh Moore
    Shelagh Moore
    Pretty well every style (Irish/Scottish, old-timey, jazz, blues) zlthough I'm not a bluegrass player. The National will be my main session instrument. Like bevb I've had to use a tenor banjo to lead a session because of issues of being heard but mandolin is my main instrument and that won't be a problem with the National.
  12. Eddystone
    Eddystone
    Pretty much anything, as its very versatile. It's good for blues, latin, world music, and traditional jazz, eg: http://www.mandolincafe.net/mp3/edwards.mp3
    In a bluegrass jam, it works pretty well. I prefer the lower strings for chopping, so the razor-sharp trebles don't get in the way of singers or other instruments.
  13. skip bosco
    skip bosco
    I've had Mags, my RM-1, for almost 3 weeks...I've played with my band (http://www.myspace.com/dennyandmarkblues)... another blues thing with a Tricone, stand up bass and drums....a blues jam, a country old-time jam, a bluegrass jam, and a coupe of random other folks...

I dunno what style I play, I just play the mandolin....and the RM-1 is simply an astonishingly versatile box, the range of it in terms of tone and dynamics is just amazing.

The only situation I've found it difficult to play is with a buddy of mine who does fairly low-key old timey originals, he's amazingly good, but I had to lay wayyyy back with him at a party last weekend, and ultimately just switched to my breedlove K.

Skip
  14. JonZ
    JonZ
    Went to the local jam again last night. Got the usual comments: "That thing sounds amazing"; "Play another blues song". The blue-grassers and old-timers loved it.
  15. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    The RM1 sounds good on anything. If someone takes exception to the mandolin then that's their problem as long as it's in tune and the notes are coming out correctly.
  16. JeffD
    JeffD
    I just got mine and haven't taken it out in public yet. So far it does everything I ask of it.

Its not inappropriate for any kind of music, far as I can tell, though I think it might suit a large jam in a noisey bar the best.
  17. bilben
    bilben
    I'm not much of a bluegrass player. I use it mainly for swing, blues, jug band type stuff. I also play in a 5 or 6-piece band with acoustic bass and drums, and with a hot plate p/u attached, it comes through loud and clear. But even if you disregard the bluegrass police factor, the fact remains that certain types of tone and timbre are associated with certain musical styles. I doubt whether many bluegrass guitar players would show up with a tricone, and in the same way, the RM-1 won't give you the exact sound that people associate with bluegrass, but that doesn't mean it wouldn't work in that context -- at least up to a point. The great thing about the RM-1 for any kind of session is its volume. I've had people move out of the direct line of fire if they're too close to it.
  18. JeffD
    JeffD
    Old timey, contradance tunes, some lame blues, and I get a fly to leave the wall across from me by playing an F#m chord.