i am not unique

1. mwillis
    mwillis
    I know its a common thing for newbies but I cant seem to get threw a song without my pick moving or sliding . Somehow by the end of the song my pick is sideways and I am moving my hand to finish the song
  2. MikeZito
    MikeZito
    No you are not alone. Even after many years, I still find myself losing grip, every once in a while; (luckily, I have only lost a pick, once, during a live gig - fortunately there was a guitar player sitting in the front row, who saw what happened, and quickly jumped up and handed me another one).

The best thing to do is to experiment with assorted picks - try different thicknesses, try ones with 'grips' built in - or even experiment by drilling a small hole in a pick for better skin-to-skin contact, or even glue a little bit of sandpaper on to each side of a pick for a better grip. Try it all, make up your own ideas, and see what works best for you.
  3. mwillis
    mwillis
    I just drilled some holes from other picks I saw helps a little I also ordered some with grips from Dunlop the should be here soon
    thank you
    I am also playing around with a metronome and the faster I set it the harder I strum causing me to stop midway
  4. HonketyHank
    HonketyHank
    Drilled holes will probably help. I think we all have had the same problem in the beginning but eventually the problem seems to go away. Not sure why or how.
  5. Trav'linmando
    Trav'linmando
    On my picks that want to slide around, I have used a utility knife to carefully add a cross hatch pattern to the pick.
  6. Ellsdemon
    Ellsdemon
    I do the same thing Trav'lin, just make it rough. But I've gotten better at not needing it so much now, just like Hank said, Not sure why or how
  7. MikeZito
    MikeZito
    I find that I go through stages with my pick grip . . . some days it sees that I'm constantly readjusting my pick, while other days it is not even the slightest problem. Call me crazy, but I have done a fair amount of experimenting with picks in the past year, but my favorites are still a good old standard Fender medium, and the freebies that they leave around Guitar Center!
  8. mwillis
    mwillis
    so I got some new picks
    I got gel picks (hard)
    I got gripped picks (1.5)
    I also got Dunlop Americana Picks (1.5) that I saw someone recommend on another post so I got them and let me tell you those picks have a nice sound and a good feel (I still loose grip but its getting better) there more rounded and it feels a little more of a flow BUT when I try tremolo its terrible (not that I can tremolo good )
  9. Mark Gunter
    Mark Gunter
    Dunlop Americana Pick - those look similar to the D'Andrea Pro Plec. Does anybody know how similar they actually are? https://www.ebay.com/i/401165977323?chn=ps