April 2018 Tune Project

1. Sleet
    Sleet
    April's tune project is "Rights of Man". It is a classic hornpipe, so there are lots of versions available on line and in print. Mandolessons' version can be found here: http://www.mandolessons.com/lessons/...rights-of-man/. Lots of opportunities to practice your triplets on this one.
  2. Posterboy
    Posterboy
    I've found a nice fiddle performance for anyone requiring inspiration to fancy it up a little
  3. Guitfiddle Mike
    Guitfiddle Mike
    I'm afraid to watch that Posterboy. Don't know if I'm up for another challenge like last month with the Sam Bush version of Red Wing you mentioned. LOL! It was a lot of fun really although I could never play it fast enough to get the melody to show.
  4. HonketyHank
    HonketyHank
    What a good fiddler can do with a bow is just amazing. Makes me wonder if fiddlers ever laugh at us poor mandolinners for attempting fiddle tunes.
  5. Guitfiddle Mike
    Guitfiddle Mike
    I wished I knew how to multi-track videos. Is like to add some layers sometime. Maybe a little fiddle here and there.
  6. Guitfiddle Mike
    Guitfiddle Mike
    Oh, and I am no way claiming to be a good fiddler.
  7. sportsnapper
    sportsnapper
    Well, things seem to have been a bit slow this month!

Here's my version of the Rights of Man. The notation is from the version at Mando lessons - through the other version I've found are very similar. Not quite perfect, but after too many takes to count over the last two days this is the best version. The High B is dodgy, and I can't seem to get the tone on the E string as I'd like, despite trying different picks - still sounds a bit "twangy". I'm using a 1.5 primetone - which has become my favourite over the last couple of months. I do wonder if it's time to change the strings - they're the ones that came with the mandolin back in mid February - and I've been playing for at least an hour almost every day since then.

8. Sleet
    Sleet
    I'm so glad you posted. This hornpipe hasn't been getting a lot of love this month and yours is a welcome treat and your dedication shows. That high B stretch is hit or miss for me and the camera is not an asset - it tattles about every little misplaced digit. The end of the month comes too quickly, or I have too many hobbies, but I should give this a try. I actually rather like the tune.
  9. Kevin Stueve
    Kevin Stueve
    I have been working on it, the A part is down B not quite and orchestra concert in 2 weeks so may not get it recorded
  10. Mark Gunter
    Mark Gunter
    Great job on that one, you're playing it at a nice clip and with a nice hornpipey feel!

I just had time to learn the notes and get it recorded, not up to speed and not hornpipey, but I may come back to it some day and try to get it better.

11. Sleet
    Sleet
    Sounds great, Mark. You're getting such clear, ringing tone with such precision and clarity. I think this tune works well at a slower speed. It gives it a darker feel, and that seems to suit the melody.
  12. HonketyHank
    HonketyHank
    Mark, I know you have been practicing -- you kept pace with your metronome until it quit and then you just kept on going. Even without the hornypipers' swing it is very fluid, so the job is pretty much done.

Gareth, quite nice rendition. I sense less hesitation than in last month's tune. You must be getting comfortable with the camera's eyeball staring at you.

I may have a version ready soon. I just got back from travel for most of the month without mandolin. But I have played the tune before, so it might come back to me more easily.
  13. bbcee
    bbcee
    Great job, both of you. I wish now I would have dedicated some time to it this month, but I just didn't feel it from the fiddle version posted above. Two thumbs up!!
  14. sportsnapper
    sportsnapper
    Thanks for the positive comments chaps. Had a lot of time to practise after an eye op about 10 days ago - needed to rest, and stay sitting upright all the time - what else do you do except play the mandolin! Actually, before that happened I was planning to try to do a mandolin and fiddle version - but that's on the back burner for now - too much movemnt playing te fiddle.

Not sure that I feel happier in front of the camera - it's the wrong side for a photographer!
  15. Sleet
    Sleet
    Here's my last effort, before my fingers permanently cramp in pick holding position! It's the Fiddler's Fakebook version.

16. HonketyHank
    HonketyHank
    Good one, Sleet! Interesting version, too. Isn't it funny how two versions can be different by only a note or two in the melody line but have a distinctly different 'flavor' and yet still be instantly recognizable?
  17. Louise NM
    Louise NM

It took all evening, and the video isn't worth the time it took, but here it is.
  18. Louise NM
    Louise NM
    Sleet, you and I seem to have used the same version! Yellow book, with some very '70s looking people gathered around a tree stump on the cover? I picked up a used copy a few weeks ago, and it has tons of good stuff in it! It's draped across my lap in the video.
  19. Sleet
    Sleet
    Yes, Louise, although my 70's folk festival folk seem to be gathered in front of a sagging tent. There is a lot of variety in the collection, in an oversized tome that capsizes music stands. I admire your ability to hit all those notes, even the high ones, quickly and cleanly. Glad you mastered the tech to join in!
  20. HonketyHank
    HonketyHank
    Hip hip hooray, Louise! Sparkling beverages all around. Good job. Excellent first video. Mandolin sounds great. Nice and crisp without being brittle.
  21. Mark Gunter
    Mark Gunter
    Sleet and Louise, thanks for sharing! Y'all are sounding great. Especially cool to see Louise's first video here, and it was whipped out on the brand new oval hole; too cool!
  22. bbcee
    bbcee
    Two more thumbs up - very good versions from both of you!
  23. Guitfiddle Mike
    Guitfiddle Mike
    Good job everyone. Where did the month go. I learned (well sort of) this the first week and have put off recording for every excuse in the book. Its May already.....wow!!!
  24. Louise NM
    Louise NM
    Sleet, you're right, it is a crummy tent. I don't know why I was sure there was a tree stump in the foreground. In any case, I'm happy to have picked up that book.