Compliments

1. Chunta
    Chunta
    I'm in Manchester, NH right now for work and decided to stop in to the Manchester Music Mill on Elm Street (I love how northeastern towns have the most generic street names). Found the acoustic section after a few circles around the store and found a Breedlove FO, a sort of F style oval hole. Neck is way too fat for my hands and the sound is meh with some good sustain but I tooled around on it playing some scales and random tremolo, and then got into some fiddle tunes.

While I'm playing a blind man (no, really) came into the room and after some Bill Cheatham told me the mandolin sounded good. I've already forgotten his exact words, I think he said it was relaxing, or calming? but what I remembered thinking was that I've learned nearly everything from coming to the Cafe and specifically this group. The tips, ideas, songs, and encouragement you guys give every day is what this guy heard. I feel comfortable enough with what I know to play by myself in a music store (in public even! Gasp!) without feeling out of place.

Long story short, I just wanted to say thank you to everyone here. I've gotten back to lurking a lot more with my new job rather than posting much but I still come on. Yall are the best!
  2. HonketyHank
    HonketyHank
    I think it has been a fun, challenging, and deeply satisfying journey for all of us who have stuck it out so far. I know it has been for me. And this group allows all of us the pleasure of watching and encouraging. But ultimately, it is a journey of an individual: you. Thanks for the story -- it's a great reward for us.

ps: Bill Cheatham is my favorite from the TOM list so far. Who couldn't get a smile on their face when hearing it played even halfway well?
  3. Trav'linmando
    Trav'linmando
    Thanks for your experience Chunta. Very cool. I have to say that being part of the Newbies group has been rewarding for myself also. Interestingly enough over the weekend my mind was wandering along these lines. This month is 2 years of cafe participation and education. Since my job prevents (or at least makes it a challenge) to work with an instructor, the cafe serves as my guide. That and 500 mandolin books.

So to all of you reading this, THANK YOU!

My pickin wouldn't be the same without the help, explanations, videos and tune suggestions. Bill Cheatham is a prime example of this. I love to play fiddle tunes. I don't listen to fiddle tunes. Never heard of Bill Cheatham. Yet I spent 1 hour on it today, trying out a Dan Levinson version.

Did not intend to high jack the thread. Thank you again one and all.