How to play notes...not chords?

1. emmadragon
    emmadragon
    This is probably going to sound like such a stupid question, but everything I can find is telling me how to play chords, but not how to pick a melody.
    Does anyone know of a resource that will teach me which note is formed with a combination of one string and a fret position? Does the D string only play Ds? And if that's the case, how does one play a melody? I come from a piano playing background (many, many years ago), so I'm thinking: how would I play a picked scale on this thing?
    Does that make sense? I'm not sure how else to explain what I mean. Sorry for a long post.
  2. Mark Gunter
    Mark Gunter
    Emma, the fret board on a fretted, stringed instrument can be related mentally to the keys on a piano keyboard.

The D string, for example, is called that because you tune that course of strings to a D pitch. When you press at a fret, you are in effect shortening the string and raising it's pitch.

Each fret raises the pitch by a half step. So if you play the D string, picking notes going up the neck one fret at a time, you are playing chromatically - like playing each white and black key on a piano going up, starting on a D note.

So on mandolin, playing the D string open, following by playing a note at each fret going up, you'd play:

D - D# - E - F - F# - G - G# - A etc.

Hope this helps a bit.

There is a group here called the Woodshed Study group, using a text "Mandolin Master Class", which can help you with mandolin theory and scales.

Also, many YouTube videos to watch. Search for "mandolin scales" or "Understanding mandolin fretboard"
  3. FredK
    FredK
    That's not a stupid question, at all. We are all here to learn, grow and progress. In fact, the whole Mandolin Cafe community is like that. There are other members on here that can give a much better answer than me but I'll give first remarks since I initially trained on the organ and still play the keyboard occasionally. The big thing for me was to "see" the fretboard scale as opposed to a keyboard. It's much like learning a new language. Playing scales up and down the neck, as well as across the strings helped tremendously. Seeing where the 3rds and 5ths fall in the scale is big, too.

Standard tuning is in 5ths: G, D, A, E. The C on the G string is middle C on the piano. The 7th fret of each string is the note on the next string up, i.e., the 7th fret on G is a D. The 12th fret is the octave. That's basic fretboard.

The harder part is holding the instrument correctly - headstock higher than the body of the instrument, correct positioning of the left hand (assuming a right-handed player) on the neck, and proper technique with the right (picking/strumming) hand. There are plenty of resources on the web - free and paid - with pros and cons for each. I highly recommend that you get with one of these resources to help you get started.

I'm short on time right now, and have to sign off, but I know the others in here will chime in with a wealth of good tips and information. They'll help get you up and in no time.
  4. HonketyHank
    HonketyHank
    Take a look here: http://www.mandolessons.com/lessons/all-lessons/, and go through his basic nine lesson beginner series. After that, the sky is the limit.
  5. Kevin Stueve
    Kevin Stueve
    as with piano patterns are an invaluable resource for instance starting on any string Open, 2,4,5, next higher string Open 2, 4,5 is a major scale. In other words to play a g major scale start on G string play open, 2nd fret, 4th fet, 5th fret, move to D string play Open, 2nd fret, 4th fret, 5th fret. Start on D string use same pattern D major, Start on A string same patter A major. There are other patterns . (see FFCP when ready). My recommendation is learn the notes on the first 7 frets of each string first (see Mark's post).
  6. Kevin Stueve
    Kevin Stueve
    As for chords, that is why I have a guitar . :P
  7. Louise NM
    Louise NM
    Hi, Emma.

If you have a piano background, even if it's a bit rusty, find a method book for beginning mandolin and learn to read standard notation on the instrument. I started with a book published by Hal Leonard, written by Rich del Grosso, that I thought was quite good. There are many, many others. If you learn to read standard notation while you find your way around the fingerboard, you'll solve two problems at once.

Oh, welcome!
  8. Michael Kinch
    Michael Kinch
    Hello Emma. I think this will help you.

http://www.celticguitarmusic.com/mando_fingerboard.htm