Hello

1. Davey
    Davey
    Hi Folks

just bought a Fylde standard Mandolin on Ebay. I have several nice Mandolins but wanted to try something with a bit more space on the fretboard.

I'm also having larger frets put in as they were a bit low and a bit small to start off with.
    I played it at a Session on Monday and it cut through very well despite being alongside several squeezeboxes and fiddles.

Cheers for now, David
  2. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    Hello! Yes, it's quiet here.

You do get a bit more space on the fretboard from Fylde. Most of the time I don't need it because I have narrow fingers. But it's quite well judged and doesn't impede playing by people who are used to standard fretboards.

It's good to hear that the Fylde worked well for you in the session. I can never tell how much it cuts through. Where did you play? I'm near Canterbury in Kent.
  3. Davey
    Davey
    I play in a Session in Coventry and also in Holmfirth in Yorkshire, depending where I am at the time. Main home in the North but stay at a family house in the Midlands now and again.

I'm mainly concerned whether I can hear myself or not as I play better when I can. Folks say they can hear me though.

The Sessions I go to are English, Irish, Scottish & I try and slip in some American Old time tunes which I'm getting to like.

Must find some Welsh tunes to complete the repertoire.

What kind of music do you play ? I've been playing 4 years so I still feel like a beginner to some extent.