A strong desire to play mandolin

1. Mark Gunter
    Mark Gunter
    I know that many of you don't cotton to FaceBook, and I don't blame you, but I just wanted to share Nathaly's story.

I belong to a rather large mandolin group on FB (like the cafe, international), and just today, a girl named Nathaly Macedo Serrano posted this note, with photos.

"Hi! I'm Nathaly, I play mandolin since i was 12 years old, I'm 28 now, but I learned in the way you see in the picture, by written notes, never using the Fretboard or in the pentagram with music notes. I would really appreciate if you could recommend a good web site where I can learn how to read notes in that, in order to play more themes. Thanks!"

Meaning, that Nathaly hasn't used TAB, standard notation, or notes about where on the fretboard she puts her fingers. Her reference to "pentagram" actually refers to the staff. Here are the pictures:

It just blew my mind that this young lady from Peru has been playing for so long with no means to record what she does other than a solfege notebook of her own devices! Talk about desire to learn! She figures out music by ear, and makes these notes for herself.

Of course, she has gotten a lot of help today from members over there. I found her story inspiring and wanted to share with Newbies group (with her permission of course).

Link for FB users: https://www.facebook.com/groups/2501...5388788310738/
  2. HonketyHank
    HonketyHank
    hmm. 10 strings makes it a what?
    I tried to play a few lines based on an assumption that do=C. I didn't hit anything familiar, but they seemed musical.
    anyway, good on her. thanks.
  3. MikeZito
    MikeZito
    Love of music makes you learn - even if you don't have the 'proper' means . . . and this lady obviously has that love.

A+
  4. Stacey Morris
    Stacey Morris
    What dedication she has!