MandoMike's free lessons

1. Radish
    Radish
    Hi all,

Maybe you are aware of this already, as Mike was recently featured on the forum, but I figured it couldn't hurt to reiterate this here. Mike Giverin (MandoMike) has set up a free monthly lesson structure, with beginner, intermediate and advanced lessons. Link is here:

https://www.mandomike.com/free-monthly-lesson

Lessons come with written instructions and a Youtube video.

I have been aware of these from the day he started these, as I went to a workshop he ran in May this year (well, went to the April one, left early due to the effects of work stress and was very gracefully invited to the repeat in May), which I absolutely loved and which improved my skill on the mando tremendously. But I only started following the lessons this month, so I've worked out a speed learning schedule which should have me catching up with the current lessons by July.

I still think of myself as very much a beginner, but I find the beginner lesson so far a bit simple (although it also seems to strengthen my basic skill). The intermediate seems to be just the right level of challenge. So I'm working through both.

Anyway, just another free lesson source for newbies to tap in to!
  2. Posterboy
    Posterboy
    I'm a fan too, I like his presenting style and playing.
  3. bbcee
    bbcee
    I discovered him via the Mandolin Monday post, and like his presentation style as well as his variations on familiar tunes.
  4. Mark Gunter
    Mark Gunter
    What a great resource!
  5. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Additional there is a great possibility to play along with MandoMike.
  6. Posterboy
    Posterboy
    I've just contacted Mike about Skype lessons, as I haven't had much luck locally.
  7. bbcee
    bbcee
    Let us know how you make out, Posterboy, I'm sure he's going to be excellent. I may do the same as we're in adjacent timezones.
  8. Posterboy
    Posterboy
    I've just had my lesson.
    Mike sent some material ahead of time and we had some emails to discuss my needs and ability etc.

It's great to have immediate feedback and some one to watch and notice where tweaks and improvements are, that are almost impossible to do for yourself.
    After the lesson he emailed a summary from his notes and exercises to use to improve the things I need to work on.
    I would definitely recommend him. Just don't make his schedule so busy I can't get regular lessons!
  9. mandoweather
    mandoweather
    Posterboy, Are you using Skype for that? I'm curious to know how well that works. Also, can you record a Skype session?

Thanks
    Bill
  10. Posterboy
    Posterboy
    Yes we're using skype. It works well, because of lag you can't play together but other than that it's very much like any other lesson.
    There are 3rd party screen capture programs or audio programs that would allow you to record skype sessions.

I have had skype lessons for guitar that didn't work for me, just due to the teacher student interaction not being great, but that is more a personality thing or the skills of the teacher rather than the technology. I felt very comfortable with Mike though.