John Ryan's Polka Ginny Aitchison and Emory Lester

1. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mtuydQlktMQ&t=2s

My collaboration with John Kelly in Scotland continues....but in this particular tune my teacher, Emory Lester accompanies me in a "call and answer" format with Emory flat picking the banjo. It adds the necessary twang to the tune - one you may remember from the movie Titanic - when Kate and Leo (Jack and Rose) go below decks to steerage and have a great time partying and dancing. I hope you enjoy it.
  2. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mtuydQlktMQ&t=2s

I'll try this again..I am new to this...obviously. Ok, not working..I'll ask Joh to help me again...xx
  3. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    Taught by Emory Lester? Lucky you! Nice playing, classic tune.
  4. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Fine effort, Ginny. Glad you have the posting process sorted out. Looking forward to the next one.
  5. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison
    Thanks John - I still can't get the video up - will have to work on that ! Next one is you and me again ! We are a team. xx
  6. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Here ye go Ginny:
  7. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    To get a video to show up you would click on the "Go Advanced" button instead of the Post Message one. There'll be a red YouTube icon in the text bar - click on it and cut and paste your youtube link into it - https://youtu.be/mtuydQlktMQ, but then delete the stuff to the left of the slash so only this appears where you cut and pasted the link: mtuydQlktMQ That's it! Your video should be in your post now rather than just a link to it.
  8. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison
    Hi Gelsenbury - I do have Emory as a teacher and I am one of the lucky ones who can do it in person is his studio. He is an awesome and patient teacher and acquiesces to some of my rather odd requests....so Emory, you know that banjo in your studio - do you actually play that or is it home décor? As you can tell my the video he can sure play it - he is multi-instrumental so when I asked last week if he could play the violin - well, yes he can. He's never quite sure what I'm going to throw at him and rolls with it beautifully and artistically.
  9. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison
    Thank you Jill....will try that next post.
  10. Kay Kirkpatrick
    Kay Kirkpatrick
    That is really enjoyable, Ginny! If you wanted to practice Jill's link method you could add your rendition to Week 110. It was combined with Dennis Murphy but it's certainly not required to combine them. You would revive a 7 y.o. thread.
  11. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Very clean and stately, Ginny. Now you need to do Dennis Murphy's and the 42 Pound Cheque and place them in front of that.
  12. Kay Kirkpatrick
    Kay Kirkpatrick
    Bertram made me go chase it down, and the 42 Pound Cheque that I heard has a lot of similarities to DM and JR polkas. They make quite a nice set.
  13. Brian560
    Brian560
    That is a very nice presentation Ginny.
  14. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Kay, that set is not my own idea - it's how Planxty did it, and they have set the bar for many session musicians.
  15. Kay Kirkpatrick
    Kay Kirkpatrick
    Thanks for that link, Bertram. Those triplets in the 42 were great. Was that an OM or some other lower-range instrument (forgive my ignorance, my ears are still in learning mode)
  16. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Kay, Planxty always was kind of string-heavy, with Liam og O'Flynn and his pipes the only exception. There was Andy Irvine with all kinds of 8-stringed instruments from mandolin to mandola, then there was Johnny Moynihan who was among the first who brought the bouzouki into Irish music, and of course Christy Moore with his guitar. I guess you hear them all in this set.
  17. Kay Kirkpatrick
    Kay Kirkpatrick
    Thanks for the info; Planxty is new to me.

And thanks to Ginny for posting her wonderful John Ryan and starting this thread. I'll be looking into The 42 and listening to more Planxty, for sure.
  18. Mike Romkey
    Mike Romkey
    Here's a version of this we just videoed. It's played with Rakes of Mallow.

19. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Lot of fun playing that! Thanks Mike it’s always nice to see you guys doing a show. Great rhythm too.
  20. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison
    Love these two songs together. I couldn't play John Ryan's that fast back then, I wonder if I can now??
  21. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    I couldn't open the video, Mike. After a short surch I found it at your channel The Bucktown Revue:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8G6PF1kxs9U

Great performance! You all delivers so much happiness and easy confidence.