A Hundred Pipers

1. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison

With the help of Emory Lester and John Kelly a trifecta of musicians to put this tune together. There are no bagpipes actually playing - you're welcome. Lots of tartans and kilts and parades.
  2. crisscross
    crisscross
    Very Scottish Ginny, sounds great!
    (And thanks for the new word, didn't know "trifecta")
  3. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Not only did you get great pictures for this production, Ginny, but the one at 1.24 is, as far as I can tell, of the massed bands at the finale of the Cowal Highland Gathering, which is held annually in my home town here in Dunoon. At one time it was the largest gehtering of pipers and pipe bands anywhere in the world, and hosted one of the five major pipe band competitions held under the auspices of the Royal Scottish Pipe Band Association as world-rated competitions.

The last picture is of Cruachan, the Shetland pony mascot of the Argyll And Sutherland Highlanders (now part of the Royal Regiment of Scotland). Cruachan had the rank of corporal and there were four successive Cruachans over the years!
  4. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Proof again that you can convey the spirit of a pipe tune without an actual set of pipes. A perfect recording

That jump beside the pony seems to be a dangerous feat if you're wearing a kilt, I suspect...
  5. Robert Balch
    Robert Balch
    Another great production from Ginny, John and Lester. Thank you! I can't imagine being in the middle of the large group of pipers when they were all going at it.
  6. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison
    Thanks for the comments- all are appreciated. I fully expected and hoped John would add some history and I too wondered about that pony at the end. I was expecting John to tell us about the sheep bladders and vegetable dye tartans..This was originally done by Emory and I and when I sent it to John just for fun, he added some octave to the second half and we liked it so much we greatly appreciated adding his contribution. I like too that his octave melody falls right around the Red Hot Chili Pipers..which my daughter said are not the same as the Red Hot Chili Peppers. The first tartan with title is my family tartan (Cameron) and the end credits are my husband's (the Gordon tartan) even tho he be an Aitchison.
    Robert - in the massed bands I think eyes are poked by drones whenever they make a turn. But it certainly is a sight to behold.
  7. Malk
    Malk

This was I think mentioned in another post recently and its one I had wanted to do. I always associate this tune with the very early days of the Scottish Television channel where it was used as an intro tune.
  8. John W.
    John W.
    Steady picking, Malk…playing tunes you want to play makes it easier to develop. What do you define as the early days of Scottish TV?
  9. Malk
    Malk
    The Scottish TV channel (now the merged STV) is only a year older than me - just a young thing then . I think my recollections of the tune being played will have been from the 1960's
  10. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Your best to date, Malcolm. Real feel for the tune and very fluent picking.
  11. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    … and I recognize you are playing in phrases.
  12. Richard Carver
    Richard Carver
    This is really good, Malcolm. I echo the earlier comments. The clear phrasing makes it your best yet.
  13. Christian DP
    Christian DP
    The triplets really groove, Malcolm.
  14. gortnamona
    gortnamona
    great stuff Ginny and Malk, i just picked this up recently after hearing fergal scahill play it under the name The hair fell of my coconut