Wishing (Swarbrick)

1. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    Here is my fourth (and last) tune for today all from the same source, Maartin Allcock's epic "Dave Swarbrick Fiddle Tunes" book which brings together just about every tune Swarb ever wrote or recorded. With Swarb and Maart now sadly gone, the book is a memorial to both of them.

This is a slow tune written by Dave Swarbrick and originally recorded on his 1981 album "Smiddyburn". Martin Carthy is on record as saying that all of Swarb's best tunes are slow ones, and this one is a case in point.

Mid-Missouri M-0W mandolin
    Vintage Viaten tenor guitar

Martin
  2. Robert Balch
    Robert Balch
    Martin - you have been very busy! Well done.
  3. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    Another tune I am revisiting. Check out the wonderful 2013 version with Swarb and Richard Thompson broadcast on BBC4, starting at 1:13 in this video: Link

My recording is based on the transcription by Maartin Allcock in the "Dave Swarbrick Fiddle Tunes" book. Played on a vintage Italian bowlback mandolin with tenor guitar accompaniment.

1898 Giuseppe Vinaccia mandolin
    Vintage Viaten tenor guitar

Martin
  4. harrywhohaa
    harrywhohaa
    That's lovely, and that Swarbs and Richard Thompson concert is pretty special
  5. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    Thanks, Harry -- it's a great tune, very melodic as many of Swarb's compositions. Swarb's appearance on the Richard Thompson's TV concert on 2013 was very unexpected at the time (it had not been announced) and is one of the last video recordings of Swarb, who died in 2016. I prefer this acoustic duet to the studio recording.

Martin
  6. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Nicely done, Martin.