Week #517 ~ Wind on the Heath

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Lovely playing there John W, I like the way you’ve used the mandolin on the B parts with harmonic support from the octave. Helps the B part to rise. Nice.
  2. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    A very well played version, John, and a lovely video to accompany your playing. Great to hear how different players approach a tune and add in something of themselves to it.
  3. John W.
    John W.
    Thanks v much for the comments, Simon and John…as you know, they help with the motivation.
  4. Jairo Ramos
    Jairo Ramos
    Beautiful! I applaud a new player (one of the major leagues) in the forum ...
  5. John W.
    John W.
    I appreciate the comments, Jairo…and thank you for the welcome.
  6. Christian DP
    Christian DP
    That sounds fine John, especially the melody played on an octave mandolin.
  7. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison
    I like your rendition very much John. Maybe you can change your name here so I know it's you.
  8. John W.
    John W.
    Thank you Christian and Ginny… I started with the melody on the OM, thinking I’d do something similar to Frithjof on his bouzouki…but decided to build it from there, prompted by John K directing me to Alec Sim’s music.

Ginny, if it is possible to change my name here I think I will do that, to try and avoid confusion.
  9. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    John, I was about to tell you how to do this, but I see you have already found out the place in the forum to request the change, so your name should appear from now as John W.
  10. John W.
    John W.
    Name change successful - now John W.
  11. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Thanks for this nice rendition on your high standard, John W. You produce a good tone with all your instruments.
    I like the slides of flowers as well.
  12. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison
    Yay John. Glad your name is here with us now.
  13. John W.
    John W.
    Thank you very much Frithjof…I’m flattered by the compliment, though it may be elevating me above my station! Also appreciate the comment re tone of instruments.

Ginny - glad all is crystal clear re my name and identity.
  14. Frankdolin
    Frankdolin
    Christian that was really pretty played solo, sittin' solo. I don't think I've ever seen you before, now I can't un see you. John W., That's the first I've heard you multi track and it is tight! John, I liked the extra echo here, it adds that Scottish hills feel. And your photo/video skills are right there with your music ones. I just wish you guys would make a mistake now and then...
  15. John W.
    John W.
    Appreciated, Frank. I usually enjoy the end result after multi-tracking, but I’m not keen on the process. I shall aim for a mix of multi-tracking and solo tracks from here on.
  16. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Nice of you to say such positive things again, Frank. As far as making mistakes now and then, I do this all the time. The videos you see posted are the end results of many faulty/failed attempts, mainly on the audio side and especially when filming myself playing to the camera. One of the joys of having digital equipment rather than using the old 8mm film is that all the errors and bad takes can be deleted with no wastage of film. So environmentally friendly too! In old movie parlance, my cutting-room floor would be knee-deep in discarded rolls of celluloid by the time I was happy with the end product.
  17. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    That's a really nice addition to the collection, John W. I especially like the sound of your Davidson mandolin.
  18. John W.
    John W.
    Thanks, Dennis…glad you enjoyed the addition, inc. the Davidson.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12