The Atholl Highlanders' March to Loch Katrine

1. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    This is a really fine 2/4 pipe march, in 4 parts, written by William Rose (1830 -1896), the grand-uncle of PM Willie Ross, one of Scotland's finest players and composers.

Again, I am following the West Coast tradition of playing pipe tunes on other instruments. This one features my JK Octave with mandolin chords on my JK mandolin and guitar backing on Lowden O32.

2. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Every time a pleasure to listen to your playing on your own builds. Thanks for this new video, John.
  3. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    Interesting approach to let the octave take the melody and leave the chords to the mandolin. I've only ever done it the other way around. It suits your style very well. Thanks!
  4. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison
    Yes Dennis, I thought the same thing. John and Simon seem to be able to play the octave as though it were a wee mandolin...maybe others too - not me. John - why is this a different tune than the Atholl Highlanders? ( and don't pretend no one ever made fun of that name - as honourable as it is, I'm sure) The camera is slightly out of focus - or maybe I've had a dram....however the music still comes through crisp and clear.
  5. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Oh, Ginny - you are awful! Who could possibly find anything dodgy about the Atholl (also spelled Athole!) Highlanders? This is different from the tune The Atholl Highlanders in that this is a 2/4 march while the one I posted years back that you refer to is a 6/8 march, and by different composers.
    Regimental tunes are very popular and since the pipes were traditionally a martial instrument the piping repertoire has huge numbers of tunes originating in the many Scottish regiments and their heroic exploits over the centuries. There are still pipers in the regiments who are composing similar tunes even today - one of my favourites being The Sands of Kuwait, written during the First Gulf War by Lance Corporal Gordon MacKenzie of 1st Battalion Queen's Own Highlanders.
    Sorry about out-of-focus effect - I think I was working in quite low window light and the camcorder probably kept adjusting focus - that is my excuse anyway!
  6. Christian DP
    Christian DP
    As for Frithiof, it's always a joy for me, to hear you play your own built instruments, John!
  7. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Expertly executed, well done John!
    I like the sombre lighting, though the focus is on the wall.

(Very nice sounding and looking instrument by the way)
  8. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    This rhythm was made for the octave, John, or you make it seem that way. And no, I am not making any jokes about those Higlanders, Atholl, Atholl.