Phoenix Mandolins in a bad economy

1. Rolfe
    Rolfe
    The downturn in the economy did not hit us until late in 2008. Orders slowed. Some dealers said they would not restock. Finally, it all ground to a halt in April. Jenny and I finished up some mandolins in the works and made some parts. Then we worked on some ukuleles in cherry and blue mahoe. Two went to grandkids and one to the University of Machias Ukulele Club. We'll keep one each and outfit more of my grandkids and maybe sell a couple. We took in the ASIA Symposium in June where we were on the mandolin building panel. We have ten finished mandolins around here and another ten or so out on consignment, but nothing is moving. Jenny finally had to find other work, hopefully temporarily; she says we are on "pause." I've heard similar stories from other builders. The entire stringed instrument industry is struggling at this point with most sales in the under-$1,000. category. I think things will turn around eventually, and I am keeping the shop available for repairs and whatever Phoenix owners need. If you can't reach me right away, I'm out fishing.
  2. evanreilly
    evanreilly
    Striper fishing off the front porch again????
  3. LKN2MYIS
    LKN2MYIS
    They are works of art that sound beautifully.

Any investment in something artistically satisfying, on any level, is a sound investment.

I have friends who own businesses in various sectors. They are starting to see things turning around. One is in the midst of the best 3 months he's ever experienced (finish apartment building work).

Hopefully you will be busier than you can imagine soon.
  4. Rolfe
    Rolfe
    Thanks for the encouragement. Evan---those stripers haven't been up here for two summers now; some say there's a cycle in effect and we won't see stripers for a number of years. Been terribly rainy, and the streams in the north have been too flooded to fish in June and most of July. Did catch some landlocked salmon in July and am going up north on Friday to check a wilderness spot.
  5. evanreilly
    evanreilly
    Well, Salmon is a good as a Striper, in my experience. Got all the good fish oils, also. Unless you doing catch & release, of course.
  6. LKN2MYIS
    LKN2MYIS
    And, just as an afterthought, weren't Phoenix's MEANT to rise up again, bigger and better????
  7. Nelson Peddycoart
    Nelson Peddycoart
    Any signs of things turning around? Do you have any instruments on hand?
  8. Rolfe
    Rolfe
    There seems to be a little movement out there. I have one order for a new Neoclassical and will soon start two more as they seem to be getting scarce, down to two at the dealers. I am finishing up an A-5 Special with incredible maple and Moose T(h)ree but no buyers in sight. There are ten mandolins on consignment, and sixteen new but unsold at the dealers. Here at the shop are a Jazz demo and a Europa, and close by at Woodsound Studio on consignment are a Curly Cherry Custom, Blue Mahoe Custom, Standard, and Bluegrass. I also have the very early Ultra still here for sale. Jenny is doing repair work at Woodsound Studio. Basically, it is just me, and I am in the shop part time. Jenny and I kept building too long after orders slowed down, and that created the surplus out there.
  9. evanreilly
    evanreilly
    RG:
    Is the 'A-5 Special' going to have some pix up here soon?