Introduce myself

1. Iain Allen
    Iain Allen
    Hello everyone.
    Thought I’d introduce myself. I’m another newbie, I usually play various bagpipes or flute but I’ve always fancied a go at a string instrument.
    I’d like to play Octave mandolin and play along with my partner or provide backing for her when she plays fiddle, our repertoire is Scots/Irish with a few Shetland tunes thrown in. I currently find myself learning on a standard mandolin and then adapting the technique to Octave based on John McGanns book. I also use Dagger Gordons book and dip into ‘The Complete Mandolinist’ although mine is a second hand copy with no audio.
    Mainly listening to Kevin MacLeod, Dagger Gordon and Aly Bain with Ale Moller for ideas, there are others but these seem to be the main people I’m listening to.

Iain Allen
  2. bbcee
    bbcee
    Welcome Iain, glad to have you in the group! You likely know that this site is a wealth of information (the CBOM part of the forum is great for OM-related questions and Dagger is a regular Cafe member, BTW), and us newbies are happy to answer any & all questions as well. Enjoy the journey!!
  3. MikeZito
    MikeZito
    Welcome Iain - it sounds like you are already well on your way.

Listen, learn, play, enjoy and keep us posted.
  4. Stacey Morris
    Stacey Morris
    Welcome to the Cafe, Iain!
  5. Mark Gunter
    Mark Gunter
    Welcome to the group.
  6. HonketyHank
    HonketyHank
    I'm glad you found us! Welcome!
  7. Louise NM
    Louise NM
    Another newbie! We've gotten a few new folks recently, which is great.
  8. Bron S
    Bron S
    Hi,

I'm another newbie and am trying to navigate around all the options on this site..I'm a bit overwhelmed and not very tech minded. I've been learning for three months and love it. Mostly medieval music, but trying to also teach myself some modern stuff (but have no idea how to work out how to strum correctly for the song so that's a problem) I have a restored German Mandolin which is beautiful. Bron
  9. Mark Gunter
    Mark Gunter
    Hello Bron,welcome to the group. I saw a photo of your nice looking mandolin in another thread. Hope you have fun and enjoy your mandolin journey.
  10. Stacey Morris
    Stacey Morris
    Welcome to the Newbies group, Bron!
  11. HonketyHank
    HonketyHank
    Hi, Bron, welcome to our hiding place.
  12. Louise NM
    Louise NM
    And now a medievalist! Welcome!