Playlist?

1. Sausage Fingers
    Sausage Fingers
    Hi;

I've recently acquired a mandolin and am steadily plodding through the Dummies book and learning a few tunes by wrote from various on-line tabs resources.

Can anyone recommend a good Spottify playlist for getting my ear into mandolin music?

I quite like folk rock/jazz/baroque and celtic if that helps?

Many thanks,

Will.
  2. Mark Gunter
    Mark Gunter
    Are you using a steaming service & wanting suggestions for artists? And albums that are mandocentric. If so:

Brian Oberlin
    Tim Connell, Mandalone
    Jethro Burns and Tiny Moore, Back to Back
    Sam Bush and David Grisman, Hold On We’re Strumming
    Norman and Nancy Blake, Natasha’s Waltz

Those are some of my favorite mandocentric works. An all-time favorite vocal-centric work:
    Rowan and Rice Quartet
  3. Mark Gunter
    Mark Gunter
    If you’re not using a streaming service send me a PM
  4. Sausage Fingers
    Sausage Fingers
    Thanks Mark; I'm on Spottify so I'll have a look at some of those for the drive to and from work. Would be nice to hear what a mandolin is supposed to sound like rather than the noises I make with it!
  5. Mark Gunter
    Mark Gunter
    Brian Oberlin has several solo albums. The others I listed have the artists followed by a specific album past the comma. There are a bunch of other great ones but that’s a good start, I think.
  6. Dein
    Dein
    I don’t know of any ready-made Spotify playlists. Lots of rock song suggestions in this thread from the genres > rock sub forum.
    https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/t...-songs-w-mando
  7. Mark Gunter
    Mark Gunter
    For a ready made Spotify playlist, I'd check out Daniel Patrick's Mandolins & Beer playlist that he maintains along with his Mandolins & Beer podcast. I listen to his podcast weekly, but I don't use Spotify personally. If I did, I'd listen to his playlist. Been considering it
  8. Mark Gunter
    Mark Gunter
    Here are a few samples from the ones I mentioned in my first post:

Brian Oberlin

Jethro Burns & Tiny Moore, Back to Back

Sam Bush and David Grisman, Hold On We’re Strumming

(features slide mandolin)

Norman and Nancy Blake, Natasha’s Waltz

Peter Rowan & Tony Rice, Quartet

Tim Connell, Mandalone

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7mpcO0WAlUE
  9. Mark Gunter
    Mark Gunter
    Another suggestion (and my apologies for posting so much in this thread) ...

If you listen to podcasts, the Mandolin Cafe provides an mp3 podcast! Great way to listen to a voluminous amount of widely varying genre of Mandolin-Centric music. Check it out here: https://www.mandolincafe.com/mp3/
  10. HonketyHank
    HonketyHank
    Hey! I actually played that Arrow mandolin that Tim Connell is playing in the above video. It sounds a lot better in Tim's hands than it did in mine!

Mark, thanks for posting. I am kind of a dyna-sour when it comes to playlists and spotify and all that. Heck, I still play LP's every now and then. Never had an 8-track, though.
  11. Sausage Fingers
    Sausage Fingers
    Thanks everyone; much appreciated.

It all just makes me realise how dreadful my playing is!