The Rakes of Mallow

1. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    An old tune from Paul Hardy’s Basic tunebook, this is also called the Jolly Sailor, and the Galway Piper among other things
    https://thesession.org/tunes/85
    I didn’t try Bertram’s double foot tapping technique, next time definitely, but I did strap a crafty, homemade device onto my left foot, with obvious results:

https://youtu.be/gD64TEQdAR8
  2. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    A tune I had forgotten about, Simon. Well played and beautiful footwork!
  3. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    This tune sounds familiar to me - I must have heard it a million times but never knew its name.
    What's that device on your foot, Simon?
  4. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/ea3rb0x32l..._5011.JPG?dl=0

Thanks John and Bertram, I’d forgotten how much fun it is to do the old footwork routine.

Three plastic bottles, cut off tops and bases, sliced and the other end hot glued, then the slices are twisted up a bit to give more, or different sound. Bicycle inner tube straps. Placed under the foot not on top so main sound occurs with foot/floor contact.
  5. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    I think I suggested this tune once, but it never won a poll. It's so well known that it seemed surprising not to have covered it here yet. Very clean and calm playing as usual!
  6. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Thanks Dennis, I like this one too, for some funny reason it reminds me of English village horse riding and the tune, Winster Gallop.

This is not a calm process though there are maybe sixty tunes I have just placed into a folder called Glitches. Most importantly they all tunes I really like (for diverse reasons) and but have a difficult part with some error that I never got sorted out, or a technique that I hadn’t learned yet. Some of them are a pleasure now because I can suddenly play them and my fingers think together in groups of notes and move with the flow.
    But that’s still not all of them, ha, ha. Oh no.

And there’s still the London Lasses and some other recent SAW tunes to do...
  7. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Nice find and well played, Simon.
    Obviously, we could/should go through the complete Kingston Irish Tunebook.
  8. Don Grieser
    Don Grieser
    A delightful tune and played so well. How do you do that laying on your back like that?
  9. ampyjoe
    ampyjoe
    There are words - I learned these at primary school.

Now the sun is shining brightly;
    Old and young and stiff and sprightly,
    Treading swiftly, treading lightly,
    Dance the Fling at Mallow.
    O, the dancing through the town,
    O, the prancing up and down,
    Priest and parson, king and clown,
    Till the fires of night are burning,
    Dance they all, sad sorrow spurning,
    Happy then to home returning
    From the Fling at Mallow.
    O, the dancing through the town,
    O, the prancing up and down,
    Priest and parson, king and clown,
  10. Christian DP
    Christian DP
    Fine playing, Smon. Even lying on your back , your fingers are relaxed and nimble.
  11. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Thanks Gents, yes on my back, always seeking a life of leisure.
    Thanks too for the words AmpyJoe though since I have already posted the tune, posting another version with singing would be unsportsman-like.
    -unless of course others are ready to jump to the next level?
  12. Sherry Cadenhead
    Sherry Cadenhead
    I figured the camera was mounted on your cap. Whether on your back or not, great job on a fun tune.