The Rose of St Magnus

1. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Here is a lovely tune written by Ivan Drever of Orkney. It commemorates the refurbishment of the magnificent stained-glass Rose Window in St Magnus Cathedral in Kirkwall in Orkney.

Recorded on mandolin, octave and acoustic guitar using REAPER DAW then rendered to mp3. Since lockdown prevails, the pictorial content has nothing to do with Orkney, St Magnus nor his cathedral. Instead, I went out to the garden and took a few pictures of some of the plants that grow there in spite of me!

2. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Beautiful, John, and the flowers fit that peaceful music much better than the cathedral (normally full of tourists, I was there) or indeed St Magnus Erlendsson himself (who didn't die in bed, to summarize a long and bloody Viking family saga of the 12th century ).
  3. Don Grieser
    Don Grieser
    Lovely playing and video, John.
  4. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Fine peaceful tune, and garden too.
    The flowers @2:35, is that a coastal plant?
  5. Bad Habbits
    Bad Habbits
    John - it is indeed a lovely tune and very well played. I really enjoy your backing running with the melody - nice. And the imagery is very pleasing, goes well with the tune. Thanks.
  6. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    A joy to watch and hear! Thank you.
  7. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Thanks, gents. I first heard this played by Duncan Chisholm, the Scottish fiddle player, on his Redpoint CD and was immediately smitten by the tune. I play it here with fiddlers in our sessions and it is a current favourite with so many of them.

Simon, I believe the plant you ask about is a kalanchoe. It was a favourite of my late wife and I have tried very hard to keep it thriving - I am not a gardener but do try to keep things tidy and presentable!
  8. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Beautiful – the tune, the sound of your recording and the flowers in your garden. Thanks John.